What "exactly" is money?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
lighthawk said:
history has shown that No Matter What silver and gold have always retained value.
Only because there've always been enough other people in the world who agreed to consider them valuable. It is not an intrinsic property of the gold or silver. It might just as well be molybdenum or fossil dinosaur teeth. (Well, obviously in the real world gold and silver are the foundation for the money system because they are pretty and because they are workable, but you know what I mean)

I think Bee's point is quite valid, although yours is too.

If you are in a situation where commerce/trade is going to happen a good bit, then owning gold and silver is useful. (And as arbitrary as it is that we consider them basic currency, I do not think that's likely to change anytime forseeable)

OTOH if you are in a situation where commerce/trade is NOT going to happen, either b/c there is not much of anyone to exchange goods WITH or b/c the goods you want are simply not available no-way-no-how, then gold and silver do you no good, compared to something you can eat, wear, burn or shoot with.

Different things are useful in different circumstances.

Pat

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
I agree with WZ. If TSHF scenario ever occurs for real actual SHF. Food will be much more useful. If it's just hyperinflation or you are just looking for a good investment that should hold up no matter what the banksters do. Then precious metals are probably the best route.

IMO ans I know nothing about the gold market. I think it will increase in value as long as unemployment and the economy grows at a slow rate. As the economy picks up and unemployment goes down, I think gold will come down too. There will be more people selling it in larger quantities.

As usual I missed the boat. So I will buy it next time the price comes down. If it doesn't come down I will go without. Or I'll invest in lead.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Dunkopf said:
Or I'll invest in lead.
Investment may be a good word for the lead that you refer to. Depending on how bad the economy gets, and for how long, cartridges in common and popular calibers could end up being an excellent barter item. Calibers such as 9mm, .38spl, .45, .223, .308, .30-06, .270, and especially .22, will get more expensive and could end up hard to find. They are also easily divisible into small amounts and would make a great exchange medium. I already advertise that I will take silver coins and vegetables (that we don't grow) in exchange for our eggs, I think that I may also add cartridges. :D

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Dunkopf said:
Or I'll invest in lead.
Investment may be a good word for the lead that you refer to. Depending on how bad the economy gets, and for how long, cartridges in common and popular calibers could end up being an excellent barter item. Calibers such as 9mm, .38spl, .45, .223, .308, .30-06, .270, and especially .22, will get more expensive and could end up hard to find. They are also easily divisible into small amounts and would make a great exchange medium. I already advertise that I will take silver coins and vegetables (that we don't grow) in exchange for our eggs, I think that I may also add cartridges. :D
That's true. If Obama gets reelected bullets will hit the roof. :)

Seriously. That is a good idea. Course I wouldn't want too many people knowing about the stockpile.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dunkopf said:
k0xxx said:
Dunkopf said:
Or I'll invest in lead.

Seriously. That is a good idea. Course I wouldn't want too many people knowing about the stockpile.
I thint that will be the gubmints end run on gun control. They know we would freak if they tried to collect our weapons so they will tax ammunition so hard that the average American can no longer afford to buy it.
JMHO

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
lighthawk said:
Dunkopf said:
k0xxx said:

I thint that will be the gubmints end run on gun control. They know we would freak if they tried to collect our weapons so they will tax ammunition so hard that the average American can no longer afford to buy it.
JMHO
I bet you'll see some serious state taxes on it. They are taxing everything to make ends meet. I doubt the feds would do it. Any legislation they talk about usually doesn't even have a sponsor and is just designed to rile up the base of one or the other. Besides gun control is political suicide for any legislator. Both sides have gun lovers. It's not just a Republican thing.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Money is life energy. When I spend it, that is what I am spending. My life.