what foods have you never tried?

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
After researching some GF options I am finding a lot of foods I have never tried before in recipes.

I have never tried leeks, kale, collards, fennel, sushi, quinoa, millet, amaranth, polenta, kohlrabi, beets (other than pickled) or their greens, goat cheese, truffles, spaghetti squash, jicama, lemongrass, a ridiculous amount of cheese types and countless others.

I am trying to make it a point to include some unfamiliars in my diet now.

So, what foods have you never tried but want to?
Leeks-pretty good
kale, collards, fennel-haven't tried. I like my lettuces!
Sushi-never have, never will (ok, never say never...) but no thanks, I'll pass!
Quinoa-Good-I want to eventually make noodles from the flour---very high in protein
millet, amaranth, polenta, kohlarbi-havent tried, but I have fed my birds millet!
beets-no thanks...btdt...won't do it again, unless it was a puree and hidden in foods.
goat cheese-the semi hard stuff is pretty good. i just picked up soft cheese today that I haven't opened, along with sheep cheese. Sheep cheese is surprisingly better than goat cheese.
Truffles-haven't tried, probably wont-too expensive
spaghetti squash...I have one waiting for me to bake....terrified no one will like it, including myself.
Jicama. AWESOME. Looks like a potato in texture, but it's crisp and tastes like peas. Best served cold, peeled, and cut into fries. I love it raw! I am going to try to grow it, but our season might be too short.
Lemongrass, I have tried it in foods, but never made it myself. Its good.

I haven't tried a lot of mushrooms. I am not a fan of them.

Also, Duck, Goose, Pheasant...haven't had the chance. Also, brains, tongue, stomach, etc of animals. Um...no.

Most asian food. It isn't my favorite, so I don't go out of my way to try it...but Indian foods-especially curries...OH MY!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Kimchi-mmmmm! I did try making it once but I was honestly a little afraid of it.
Remember that not all sushi is raw, so if that is what keeps you from trying it, try it!! Just order something made with shrimp or another cooked fish, or just veggies! Once of our favorites here is peanut avocado rolls. DH likes sweet potato tempura rolls too. mmmm! Around here if you order something made with crab, it is generally imitation crab which I avoid. But it isn't raw either.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our Whole Foods has a spicy shrimp tempura California roll that makes me swoon. One of the very few seafood items I will eat.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Javamama said:
Our Whole Foods has a spicy shrimp tempura California roll that makes me swoon. One of the very few seafood items I will eat.
I think I know what I am doing for lunch......

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've "tried" alot
but not many I truly love :lol:

tried---bison, elk, deer, goat

tried: ostrich, pigeon, duck, goose, pheasant,quail

tried: alot of seafoods (love crab and lobster, shrimp) but hate fish basically

hate the octopus etc

what haven't I tried....I guess alot of exotic veggies and fruits

I just don't buy them

other than that, I guess I tried tons but liked very few or could find very few to purchase.

haven't tried alot of crazy spices out there either (Tony is not a spice person so I tend to stick with basics)

what do I want to try----well kinda nothing new really lol

food doesn't interest me enough anymore to experiment to much nowadays