what gifts are you making this holiday season?

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have next to no money for Christmas this year and it will go for my kids so every one else will get handmade gifts. Mixes in a jar, biscotti or cookies and handmade aprons. What are you making this year for gifts?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made jellies and jams
habanero gold jelly
apple pie jam and ice cream topper
wine jelly
summer peach
garlic jalapeno
apple jalapeno
chow-chow relish
(that I am wrapping in fabric and will tie a cute ribbon on)
homemade fudge
rock candy for kids
caramels
biscotti individually wrapped and tied pretty in a Tea or coffee mug.

These are cute and cheap ornaments we are also making for gifts this year for the kids to do and give.
http://www.recipezaar.com/Crystal-Ornaments-Borax-145914
http://www.recipezaar.com/Cinnamon-Ornaments-Dough-79306
http://www.recipezaar.com/Rock-Candy-for-Kids-1069

Also I am going to transfer pictures onto pillowcases and customize them for the kids.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
I made jellies and jams
habanero gold jelly
apple pie jam and ice cream topper
wine jelly
summer peach
garlic jalapeno
apple jalapeno
chow-chow relish
(that I am wrapping in fabric and will tie a cute ribbon on)
homemade fudge
rock candy for kids
caramels
biscotti individually wrapped and tied pretty in a Tea or coffee mug.

These are cute and cheap ornaments we are also making for gifts this year for the kids to do and give.
http://www.recipezaar.com/Crystal-Ornaments-Borax-145914
http://www.recipezaar.com/Cinnamon-Ornaments-Dough-79306
http://www.recipezaar.com/Rock-Candy-for-Kids-1069

Also I am going to transfer pictures onto pillowcases and customize them for the kids.
:drool You have some very lucky friends and family members!!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Several different jellies & jams
Quilts
Lap throws
Pickles
Soaps
Sugar Scrubs
Bath Salts
Apple Butter
Mixes in a Jar
Peach Freezer Jam
Homemade Cocoa Mix

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
After ahving trimmed my Christmas list down to three families (totalling 15 people) and assorted peripheral individuals, I have decided to give a very large basket to each of the three families, and a trio of jams to the individuals. I have started a list for the baskets, which includes:

Fruit jams that I already have on hand, pickled squash, white peack salsa, biscuit mix, hot chocolate mix, mugs, brownie mix, assorted soup mixes in a jar, home made laundry soap, chocolate raspberry jam, banana pineapple jam, and now that I have read everyone's list, I am adding biscotti, bath salts, sugar rub, and probably more that i can't remember. I have started three fleece blankets from leftover scraps that i will put in the baskets, which are oval and shaped like a small laundry basket.

HannaLee

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't done anything yet for this year. Last year I gave this and it was well received.

Christmas Scent
2-4 tablespoons cloves (whole) (optional)
2-4 cinnamon sticks
4 bay leaves
1/2 orange, sliced
1/2 lemon, sliced Add orange and lemon slices to dry mixture of spices. Put in a small sauce pan with 4 cups of water. Simmer on low to release the fragrance.

TO GIVE AS A GIFT: Put ingredients in a decorative jar. Add enough water to fill jar. Add a few drops of red food coloring. Close securely and give with a small gift tag explaining how to use it. Store in refrigerator when not in use, to prevent molding. Can be simmered over and over again! Note, I prefer to use the lesser amount of cloves so that they don't overwhelm the other fragrances.

Yield: 1 jar

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
only thing a few people will receive homemade from me is my goat milk soaps. some to Nicole's teacher and some others.

We cut back presents this year and we don't give to adults.

The neice and nephew "teenagers" will all get gift certificates so they can get what they want. Mom and Dad get a funny but useful token present and Tony and I buy one thing we want. Nicole is almost 5 and she gets a few toys.

all my canned foods etc. are eaten by us except for the few things I donate or give away to friends.

easy christmas for me this year.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Not sure this is actually a gift idea, but I was just going through some old pictures and found this one from about four years ago. My youngest granddaughter was about to be born nine weeks early, and my daughter was, as she had been with the first one, in the hospital on complete bed rest. I had to find a way to keep #1 busy, so I did a lot of research and came up with these little mice. Hope you can see them. They are basically a maraschino cherry dipped in melted chocolate and then before the chocolate hardens completely you attach an unwrapped Hershey Kiss to it for the nose, and two almon slices for the ears. The stem of the cherry is the tail. I bought a small tube of black glossy icing for the eyes, but I bed you could snip bits of raisins. We had some trouble getting them to stand up, so genius DGD came up with the idea of resting them on a cookie.

The one nearest her face was a prototype that got licked a whole lot!

Thought maybe this would be a fun project for those of you with kids.

1098_100_0285.jpg

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I have to admit, I would be one of the ones who licked that last cherry chocolate mouse! :drool I always had my finger poked into the cake too when no one was looking. :D