What have you changed since being here?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SO MANY GREAT IDEAS
So many people like me on this forum...LOL

What I have truly changed since starting here and this forum kicked my butt into moving farther ahead!

use less energy. I cut my power bill dramatically. CFLs, unplug phantom stuff, use less heating etc. etc.

Got a backup propane fireplace that needs no power. I am so glad I got this little fireplace. It is just peace of mind knowing I can live and not freeze!

I stopped using my dryer. Anyone who knows me very well, knew I would be buried with my dryer along side me..HA HA.......so to give up that dryer and put up a clothesline was huge for me! Granted a rope between 2 trees but it is amazing how well I adapted---lol----something I thought I would never do, but did cause of this forum, I gave hanging laundry a try and am fine with it!

Just be more aware of everything in general and striving to use less and less and be more happy in general!

BUT those 3 things I did cause of this forum really....they pushed me to try and accomplish each of the above and I did it!

SO WHAT have you all truly changed. It might not be much, like my list above, but I am sure on my way!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, I am not sure which I have done because of the forum but some things I accomplished LAST year were....

CFL's
cloth napkins
My entire bulk storage pantry
canning cupboard
sprouting seeds
More laying hens
New raised beds
emergency supplys
water
first aide
medical
etc...
I know theres more but I cant think of it right now.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I started changing somethings before I found this site but this site has encouraged me to change or make even more things.
I had already made my homemade napkins, tissues, a TP (only for myself). I already hing my laundry out on the line in the summer time...hard to do it when there is 4" of snow outside. I already started making my own laundry detergent about a month before I sound SS. I put a hot water timer on my hot water tank to save electric. We cut all of our own slab wood and use it as our main source of heat for our house.
Since finding SS....
I have made a dehydrator. I want to get milk goats and make my gardens bigger. I want to work on finding people to barter and trade with...eggs or chickens for goats. I want to get some more turkeys but, I want a type of turkey that I can keep and raise more of my own. I want to plant a more fruit trees and bushes. I have started my emergency preparedness box and I want to do even more with that. I am more seriously looking for a larger piece of property.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I had changed a lot before I came here also but was greatly encouraged to do more. I am cleaning out my cleaning supplies today to see what I have that needs to be used up. Trust me - its a lot. I don't even remember buying some of this stuff. I can thank Farmerchick for all the work I am doing today. LOL

I am also more prepared for an emergency and have lots more stored food than I probably would have.

We had already planned a larger garden for the coming year but buying the heirloom seeds were not something I probably would have been so picky about.

I am also using today to clean out some things I never use.

I see all the things you all get accomplished daily and you give me new ideas and make me want to do better.

Now if I can just cut down on my trash. That is my new goal. I don't know where it all comes from but with 4 adults in this house all the time, 1 20 year old young man in and out and now a baby, I don't know. But I am in the process of working on it.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I am not sure that we can do much about our garbage. We already recycle everything that we can and throw our food scraps out in our 'pond' (which is actually just a glorified ditch.) We burn regular paper in the wood burner but, it seems like we just generate a TON of garbage!! My DH refuses to take the stryofoam packaging type stuff and burn it in a burn barrel and just other stuff that is burnable just not burnable in our woodburner.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Well since i have found this site I have learned alot!

I am definitely better about using power and hanging laundry...although here in the new place, I do not have a system or good location....yet.

I am better about driving and combining trips or flat out not going anywhere just cause someone 'wants to'

I quit buying plastic water bottles. That was a shocker to the kids. I have been re-using old bottles, but I really need to buy each of us a decent re-usable water bottle.

I learned how to can

I am much better about shopping in my pantry for dinner, rather than the old ways of deciding what I want to make and then going to the store!

At the old house I had a nice compost pile going...need to get that started here

Drastically reduced my use of paper towels, now I keep a rag drawer in the kitchen and use those instead

There will be many more changes coming this year and I am excited!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:old
Ahh...but you are learning so much Grasshopper!
and all the new knowledge and adventure will start come early spring when you put your new plans into action.

early spring and summer is when my computer time will crash severly...work work work outside then!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I have spent much more time on the computer.... :he :barnie
DITTO!! But, that is not 'entirely' do to the fact that I found this site...mostly because I am trying to calm and quiet on the couch. But, having this site to come to does give me a lot to think about for stuff I want to do after I have the baby.