What home appliances use the most electricity?

KimStevenson

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
Technology life is increasingly developing, leading to a lot of electronic devices using electricity in families. That will make the electricity bill of each household increasingly high. I want to ask if everyone can tell me which appliances use the most electricity so that I can use it more appropriately.
Thanks everyone.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Interesting question, sorry I don't have an answer. I always wanted to get a meter to plug stuff into and determine how much energy it uses - while in use and when turned off.
I know TV's are vampires and continue to use electricity even when turned off. Refrigerators use a lot of electricity. And don't forget about your well pump if you are in the country and not on city water.

Funny story
A friend of mine closes up his cabin for the winter every year, and when he does this, he flips the main breaker and turns off the electricity to the entire cabin. But, he makes sure that everything is off before doing this, so he doesn't damage anything when he turns the power back on in spring. He thought he had everything turned off but when he went to flip the breaker, the electric meter was still spinning - there was something in the cabin still on. He checked the stove, checked the fridge, checked the TV's, all the lights were off. After about an hour and on his fourth trip back into the cabin to look for the "Power sucker" he was standing in the livingroom trying to figure out what could be still turned on when he heard the ticking of the clock on the wall. Bingo! He had been looking at the clock this whole time, getting frustrated because it was getting late and he needed to head out - but it was the clock that was using electricity and holding him up, lol.

R2elk

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Interesting question, sorry I don't have an answer. I always wanted to get a meter to plug stuff into and determine how much energy it uses - while in use and when turned off.
I know TV's are vampires and continue to use electricity even when turned off. Refrigerators use a lot of electricity. And don't forget about your well pump if you are in the country and not on city water.

Funny story
A friend of mine closes up his cabin for the winter every year, and when he does this, he flips the main breaker and turns off the electricity to the entire cabin. But, he makes sure that everything is off before doing this, so he doesn't damage anything when he turns the power back on in spring. He thought he had everything turned off but when he went to flip the breaker, the electric meter was still spinning - there was something in the cabin still on. He checked the stove, checked the fridge, checked the TV's, all the lights were off. After about an hour and on his fourth trip back into the cabin to look for the "Power sucker" he was standing in the livingroom trying to figure out what could be still turned on when he heard the ticking of the clock on the wall. Bingo! He had been looking at the clock this whole time, getting frustrated because it was getting late and he needed to head out - but it was the clock that was using electricity and holding him up, lol.
Kill A Watt can monitor everything 110V.

R2elk

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
Technology life is increasingly developing, leading to a lot of electronic devices using electricity in families. That will make the electricity bill of each household increasingly high. I want to ask if everyone can tell me which appliances use the most electricity so that I can use it more appropriately.
Thanks everyone.
Electric hot water heaters are typically the most power hungry users.

Alaskan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I always thought it was the deep freeze

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Anything that produces heat. The more heat, the more electricity it sucks up. I would say electric hot water, electric stove/oven, electric dryer, heat cycle on dish washer.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Deep freezers are pretty efficient as long as they aren't a frost free type. My upright probably costs around $200 a year.

Clothes dryers use a lot. Heating and cooling are the biggest users so adjusting those helps the most.

KimStevenson

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks you so much, your opinion is useful.

Funny story
hanks