What household product can you do without?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I make my own laundry soap and dishwasher soap and now hand soap because I hate spending money on those products. But you can't really do without them.

But I'm interested in what household products can you just plain do without?

I'll get the ball rolling by suggesting toothpaste. I don't use it by choice and I don't think my breath is bad or my teeth bad. I used to work for dentists and the idea is to get all the plaque off of your teeth every day, not to smell like mint or taste like cinnamon. I use a tongue scraper too as well as dental floss. Tooth paste is not necessary.

What product do you just NOT buy because you find it isn't necessary for you?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We absolutely cannot do without bleach or the lavender pinesol due to our dogs

BUT

we CAN do without dryer sheets because we use that nifty bounce dryer bar now, and it has saved us a ton of garbage! i hate dryer sheets, they waste so much and stick to everything.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
What nifty bounce dryer ball? Does it get rid of static electricity? I saw something like that but can't see how it works.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Theyre actually a Bar, and they stick to the drum of your dryer...

they work great and everything smells great, with no static!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Do you get them at your supermarket or where?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got mine at Costco but grocery stores and wal-mart carry them too. You get a bar and it has refills that you clip on after the first bar is spent. They're supposed to last like 3 months but here we do a lot of drying in the winter in the dryer so it lasts less time with us.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Cascade Complete. Nothing else gets the dishes clean. The homemade stuff was terrible.

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
household item .........TV. We use fancast.com,hulu.com,joost.com when we are really bored. Iam not paying a cable bill for an item that fails to do anything but numb me . When I chooseto be entertained I hang out with my SILKIES or see if CSI is online.............

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I do without cleaners like 409 or Fantastic. I mix ammonia and water 50/50 in a spray bottle and it cleans and degreases like crazy. I use regular Windex for the windows, which I clean about every two years...I hate doing windows...and Comet or Ajax powder for everything, including toilets.

Latest posts