What I want for Christmas ...

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
What I want for Christmas is a "Kill-A-Watt" from Think Geek!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travelpower/7657/

This little gadget sticks into the wall and you plug your stuff into it.

According to the ad "The Kill-A-Watt allows you to connect your appliances and assess how efficient they are. A large LCD display counts consumption by the Kilowatt-hour, just like utility companies. You can figure out your electrical expenses by the hour, day, week, month, even an entire year." and all for $24.99!!

I have wanted one for years since GEEK son first showed on to me and this is the YEAR!

What do you think? Anyone out there want an energy saving item for Christmas?

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I want one now! It would help me win an issue with my DH that I need a new dryer...its not cost effective for me to use my dryer, and I have no clothes line (I'd like one though!) But for when I need it, I have to turn it on for 70 minutes, a full cycle, and then re-start it again, to get anything to dry...it has something wrong with it, and it's not very efficient. DH thinks its not that bad, cause it still sorta works. I'm sure this power thingy would show that it's costing alot of money to run? So I would like one too! Then as a bonus, I could maybe get another dryer, like on Craigslist or something?
Oh, but I guess the dryer is on a different plug...rats!! Guess it wont work! Guess I'll have to try logic....:lol:

Tina

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
:gig :lol: Sounds like good logic to me, Tina!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
By a different plug do you mean 220?

I don't know if you can get one like that or not.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I want you to get one and then loan it to all of us! That way we won't have to spend the money for one..... :cool:

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
What I want for Christmas is a "Kill-A-Watt" from Think Geek!
There are two different models. The older, the P3 (model P4400) sold by Think Geek and others, can be found for as little as $13.99 on eBay with $8 shipping.

The newer one, The EZ (model P4460) costs a bit more and are generally in the $35 - $45 range.

The only difference between the two is the the EZ model will do the actual calculations on costs to operate, once you enter in the rate your electric company charges. The EZ also has a battery back up, so you don't lose your info should a power failure occurs. The old one, you have to do the math yourself.

They are WONDERFUL! One of my best friends can attest to that. I loaned him mine over two years ago and he loves it so much that I haven't seen it since. :(

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
That is why when I finally get mine I won't be loaning it out! Sorry Beekissed!:p

Besides that I am pretty sure I will be plugging in things around here for quite a while!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Tfpets- you probably already did this but sometimes a dryer gets really poor at drying if the vent tube and vent under the dryer is full of lint. Lint filters seem to let a lot of lint through.
Mine started not to dry well and I cleaned my vent from outside of the house and it improved the drying time a lot.