What is the difference between air conditioning and air recirculation?

Steve Holmes

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi friends,

Air conditioning price more , but what exactly is the difference between the two systems? Is air recirculation effective at cooling or heating the vehicle interior on hot or cold days?

Can anyone have an idea?

Thanks
Steve Holmes

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Steve Holmes said:
Hi friends,

Air conditioning price more , but what exactly is the difference between the two systems? Is air recirculation effective at cooling or heating the vehicle interior on hot or cold days?

Can anyone have an idea?

Thanks
Steve Holmes
On a Vehicle [like my Honda Element which has both] recirculation justs recycles the air from the interior of the 'cabin' and adds a certain amount of outside air. they usually will send the air stream over the heater and AC coils if so equiped. I think a heater feature is mandated in the US? Air conditioning provides cooling and dehumidity features. On my Honda I am fairly sure that the two systems are iniergrated. There is a setting called Max Air that I really like because it recycles cabin air through the Cooling coil. Great for those sunny days where the car has sat in the sun all day and the air is 120F+! Without AC, I would roll down the windows and it would stay hot untill I got out on the highway and the interior temp would fall to exterior temp. My area is going more urban and speed limits are falling So I might be halfway home before I would manage to get it up to 30 mph and any cooling. With MAX Air, it would cool while I was still in the parking lot, once the interior was cooled I would switch off the AC and let the cool air be recycled by the reciriculatiom system. The biggest problem is that the moisture from people exhaling in the car is not removed with a recirculation unit . The air becomes moist and smelly and windows can fog or froast up on the inside of the windows.~~gd

Latest posts