What is the most useful animal you raise?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Right now, the most useful animal would have to be my chickens and RU's ducks. The goats and bunnies are just pets along w/the cats and horses. But I noticed last year that even though we had more horses in a smaller space than where I work, we had a lot less flies. I don't even want to know how much money my boss spent on fly predators last year, and the flies were still horrible. Had a lot less flies at RUs. It finally dawned on me that it was due to the chickens and ducks.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Hmm....I have sheep for meat and wool (that I rarely have time to do anything with), goats for milk (and meat if needed), chickens for meat and eggs, and turkeys for meat.

I'd say right now I'd pick chickens. They lay like crazy, I sell the eggs and am able to pay for their feed that way. They're so super easy to take care of! Hands down they're the most bang for the buck and the easiest to care for. :)

June, my doe, is a close second I think. She milks really well and her milk is easily worth $7/gallon (uh, you know, if I sold it) and she can pay for her keep and then some! So not only do I have nice fresh milk, but I can make cheese, soap (when I finally buy the supplies), and she can provide kids for selling or for eating. :)

I love my sheep the best, but I know they're not as profitable as the others.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
The chickens, for meat and eggs. But, we haven't tried very hard to sell the turkey/duck eggs or for meat. The bees are great, but they haven't lasted long enough yet to give much honey...

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Wow! Goats finally got some votes but chickens are the clear winner!

*looks out window at non-laying chickens, "Maybe you aren't soup quite yet!"*