What is this plant?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A few weeks ago a older guy came up to the house and asked my wife if he could pick some tomatoes out of the garden. My wife said take as a many as you want. Today he dropped this off and left. My wife told me about it and said it's mine because she would kill it. But what is it?

IMG_20191024_004318.jpg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's a very sad looking plant in need of some TLC!!! Needs to be potted up with some good potting mix, fertilized, and most importantly: Treat it for any insects that may be lurking before bringing it into the house. Looks like a member of the peace lily family. spathyphyllum. They are one of my favorite indoor decorative plants. Good oxygenators, produce a lovely white hooded bloom when they are happy. Bloom similar in shape to Jack-in-the-pulpit.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was thinking Cana lily too. In Wisconsin, ours had to be dug up every year, although here they stay in the ground. You might be able to get away with a very thick layer of mulch. My Dad dug his up, let the roots dry out, and kept them in the cellar for the winter, then replanted them each spring. Those are very small for this time of the year, so were probably at the edge of a patch. They can get over 8 feet tall and the bloom is on the very top. Hummingbirds love them.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Man came back this morning his name is Dale. He's a older hillbilly looking guy long gray beard and overalls, really nice guy.

You all were right they are Cannas. Darker color is red, lighter color is yellow. He said he does pull his, but cuts them back and mulches with leaves and straw. He also told me to cut the stem and store the roots or bulbs in a paper bag inside and plant the as soon as the soil can be worked in Feb or Mar.

Here's more info ---> https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.almanac.com/plant/cannas?amp

Thanks everyone

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
CC, you might have 3 colors there. If you look closely, some edges of the green leaves in the back are edges with a darker green while the ones in front don't have the edging. I've had red and yellow crosses before making some really pretty oranges. I can't find a picture of that right now, but here's a picture of the red.
20190616_150023.jpg