what is with kids toys

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has a problem with the gender profiling on kids toys. My little man and I were walking through the stores looking at toys so he could tell me what he wanted for his birthday and it's crazy how many toys are not gender-neutral.
My little man loves cooking and cleaning but there are next to no toys like that for boys. One of the toys that he really wants for his birthday is a play kitchen but the only one the store has is pink pink and more pink.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My daughter has a generic colored play kitchen. She would prefer it be pink, lol. But look online, you should be able to find a non-pink one.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Right there with you! It's horrible! DS2.5 LOVES to play with his baby doll, but good lord, is there nothing gender neutral anymore? I refuse to buy gender specific crap. At least not to support the companies. I buy secondhand, I don't mind so much when it isn't packed in a pink or blue box.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Right there with you! It's horrible! DS2.5 LOVES to play with his baby doll, but good lord, is there nothing gender neutral anymore? I refuse to buy gender specific crap. At least not to support the companies. I buy secondhand, I don't mind so much when it isn't packed in a pink or blue box.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My little man plays with dolls too and so did my brothers they would play house and dress up with me when we were growing up.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Here ya go!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B1V32N8/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

81%2Bz6%2BuK%2BbL._SL1500_.jpg

Or, you could build one out of an old entertainment center....you can get those so cheap at Good Will and the Restore Store!

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/ma...-old-entertainment-center-into-a-play-kitchen

And then there's just picking up the pink ones on the cheap and painting them any color you want.

Aliza's is sort of gender neutral and I got it at Good Will for $10...

100_4978.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Dare I say to not to a kitchen play set and cook with him for real instead? He can do a lot of mixing and kneading already. Wash him up and set him to work mixing ground meat for meatloaf? Knead bread? pancake batter? count the scoops as you measure?

I know it's a bit of a PITA, but it pays off. My DS10 can cook some basic things by himself - eggs, oatmeal, cookies, bread machine bread, and cook a pound of ground meat. He could do more if I wasn't so impatient. :gig He "made" supper tonight. I told him to have leftovers reheated and served at 5:45 and DH and I went out to do chores. Came back in and the table was set and leftovers were hot :love

It's worth it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree! All my boys were cooking simple meals for the family by 10 and then a little later, making bread from scratch and by hand as teens. They all turned out to be pretty fair hands at cooking and their bread is as good as mine, with the eldest working in a couple of restaurants as the chef later on.

He also canned up my entire crop of tomatoes one summer when he was in his early 20s...just happened to be between jobs and wanted to help me. Had never done it before but called his grandmother, asking for directions, and did as good a job as I ever did.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have been talking of making him one and now I might just have to brake down and do it. But he will be cooking with me whenever I have something he can do. With a play kitchen he can "practice" when he has a babysitter

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I remember buying toys for DS (11) when he was younger and seeing not much other than dolls and kitchen sets for girls and not much other than guns for boys… This was in South Africa. Proper toy shops here in Ireland had some lovely toys for both genders though.

He's just starting to cook things now, but at the moment I'm only letting him use the microwave oven. I'm still nervous about him around the cooker, not least because he's as clumsy as his mother and very likely to forget to turn it off once he's done cooking! He's keen to learn though.