what jobs work around kids' school hours?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It is looking more and more like I may need to take the real BIG plunge into self-sufficiency... self and kids, that is :/

There is absolutely no one around, no relatives or friends, who could possibly do any kind of child care or afterschool care. Please don't argue that it's surely not the case, it just is, k?

So, my question is, what (if anything) am I not thinking of, in terms of ways to generate income while still being here when the kids are not at school (I would obviously have to send my younger son to Jr K, which I would not do otherwise, but, it would not be the total end of the world, especially not comparatively speaking).

School bus driver is the obvious one. After that, I kind of run out of ideas in terms of hours and seasonality. (I am not a person who could do childcare so please don't suggest it.) I could try freelance writing but would not count on making one heck of a lot of money at it. Even if I could buy a small rural house free and clear (she optimistically says), I am estimating it would take AT LEAST $12-15k yearly for us to get by, so that is the sort of ballpark I am talking about.

Have not made any definite decisions yet but it is looking like this may be necessary (although it is way totally not what I want), so I feel like I need to start getting ducks in a row and sorting out options so as to be prepared just in case...

Thank you for any and all suggestions,

Pat

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
school cafeteria worker, school janitorial work, teaching assistant, tutoring...lots of things revolve around the kiddos. I hope that helps a bit I can't think of much else :hu

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
It is looking more and more like I may need to take the real BIG plunge into self-sufficiency... self and kids, that is :/

There is absolutely no one around, no relatives or friends, who could possibly do any kind of child care or afterschool care. Please don't argue that it's surely not the case, it just is, k?

So, my question is, what (if anything) am I not thinking of, in terms of ways to generate income while still being here when the kids are not at school (I would obviously have to send my younger son to Jr K, which I would not do otherwise, but, it would not be the total end of the world, especially not comparatively speaking).

School bus driver is the obvious one. After that, I kind of run out of ideas in terms of hours and seasonality. (I am not a person who could do childcare so please don't suggest it.) I could try freelance writing but would not count on making one heck of a lot of money at it. Even if I could buy a small rural house free and clear (she optimistically says), I am estimating it would take AT LEAST $12-15k yearly for us to get by, so that is the sort of ballpark I am talking about.

Have not made any definite decisions yet but it is looking like this may be necessary (although it is way totally not what I want), so I feel like I need to start getting ducks in a row and sorting out options so as to be prepared just in case...

Thank you for any and all suggestions,

Pat
Do you have enough college to be a substitute teacher?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Banking hours are generally very similar to school hours, but you'd have to find summer child care.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Subbing is a good one if you have the college hours...........

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Oh, and a lot of secretarial positions in like Doctors offices and such will at least let your kids get off the bus at your work sometimes.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
There are no school cafeterias around here -- kids either pack lunch, go home, or order in. Strange (to me) but true!

I am not lacking in "college hours", I have a PhD in biology and actually I used to be a college professor <g>, but subbing is impossible because there are so many unemployed actual-credentialled-teachers around here right now that absorb all the sub openings. (And I have looked into getting teaching credentials but it would take 2 yrs at a faraway college which is obviously not going to happen)

The other suggestions are definitely something for me to look into and ask around about though... keep 'em coming!

Thanks very much, life is kind of sucking right now,

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pat

remember---all ideas I am throwing out there to help work around kid hours LOL some might not be practical of course! :p

could you board horses? do you have enough land for that type of situation? if you board 10 horses then you would be making good money....(maybe) for your area??

could you start dog kennel at home? a real kennel business?

any positions with a church situation? they are usually very flexible about working hrs.

let me think of a few more and throw them out when I can :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Start your own business cleaning houses.