What kind of chicken is this?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some time ago I bid on Silkie eggs from Ebay. I won the bid - lucky me! ONE out of 6 eggs hatched and this is what I got. Obviously NOT a silkie - anybody have ideas what it is? I would have sworn it was a little roo - but I'm finding tiny little eggs in the barn and I don't have any other pullets that would lay a tiny egg like this. I really haven't had much experience with bantams so any ideas would be appreciated.

upload_2018-8-5_9-35-27.png

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Except it's a tiny little bantam....:idunno The picture does make it look bigger, but size wise it's just a bit bigger than an Old English bantam. The feathers on the legs are throwing me cuz on bantams you get feathered legs with Cochins and Brahmas and Silkies and d'Uccles….and probably more that I can't remember.

At first I thought it was a bantam Old English Red Pyle except for the feathered legs.
Here's what they look like - close on coloration, but no feathers on their legs. (this picture is of a standard sized bird) Maybe it's a mixed up cross between this breed and another bantam that has feathers...

photo credit to Google.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol - it's a mystery bird! I really never looked close at it when it became apparent it wasn't a silkie! It got tossed out of the brooder along with a few others when they were big enough. They chose to live behind the barn in the buck pen so they aren't underfoot (or in my line of vision) at all. In fact, if I hadn't started finding itty, bitty eggs I probably would never have looked close at it again as long as it appeared to be healthy and chickening along. But, the mystery egg made me start looking at the mystery bird and piqued my curiosity.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Looks like a cross between something and something else… It's hard to tell from the pic, sorry! Doesn't look like any pure breed I can think of right now. The feathered legs could come from a Brahma, Sultan, or Cochin and the colouring etc made me think OEG as well.