what kind of medical supplies?

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am getting ready to start a medical supplies/first aid kit. I have many food grade lidded 5 gal bucket, they have rubber seals and I figured if I add some moisture absorbers they would work well. My question is what does everyone keep in theirs?

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I keep my supplies in long flat plastic tote boxes that I stack up.I get free 5 gallon pickle buckets(sometimes with lids),so they would work well in a pinch.Only reason I owuld pick the tote over the bucket would be I don't want to dig through the bucket to find what I want. I like it spread out in the tote box.Totes aren't cheap though especially the flat long ones I like.Maybe I will stock in buckets and just refill a tote as needed.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have probly 50 buckets. We store animal feed, canning supplies, laundry soap, extra rags, ect in them. My daughter works at a fast food place and they go threw a 5 gal bucket every other day or so. So they save them for me.

I was thinking band aids, gause pads and tape, cotton balls, butterfly badages. But would alcahol, burn ointment, antibiotic ointment and such be ok? I would rotate it out with what we have in the bathroom.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alcohol evaporates quickly, and ointments have "best before" dates after which their efficacy goes down, especially once they've been opened and the product has been exposed to air. Some things are best bought fresh, especially things you don't go through quickly--that's why things like ointments come in small tubes.

Also, we bought a huge box of bandaids (along with other basic first aid supplies) a number of years ago for my Girl Guides (like Girl Scouts) troop for when the girls would make up their own first aid kits every year, and we found that after a few years the adhesive got really gooey/tacky because the box was stored in a location that would freeze over the winter (an outdoor shed), so be sure to store all of your first aid supplies in a room temperature location. :)