What next?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So the wife and I were going over the to do list.

Rabbits fencing around the hutch
Sheet mulching the orchard
Planting more trees in the orchard
Replacing floor in one of the rabbit cages
Building a new brooder for the 67 eggs in the bator
Etc

We decided that tomorrow we are going to plant 2 more trees and do some more sheet mulching. We have 2 peaches and 2 plums. What should I get next? Persimmons? Apples? Pears? Idk I like them all so....

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I vote persimmons! I love them - I have two trees. They don't produce much yet - but the few that I've had off of the oldest tree are so darn tasty!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just planted two kiwi vines yesterday, and dug the hole for a granny smith apple tree. I have two pomegranate trees, an olive tree, and the apple tree ready to plant. And my husband started building strawberry towers yesterday. We plan to add plum and one more peach tree, then we'll probably call it quits on the orchard. (We also have several more apple, one peach and two pear, fig, pawpaw, grapes, blackberries, blueberries, pecan, walnut, and three lime, about 2/3 put in this year or last).
Kiwi would probably do well at your place too. These aren't like the ones in the store. They're more like the size of large grapes, and are edible right from the vine. A juicy, instant summer treat for people working (or playing) outside. If you do get kiwi, you need a trellis or fence, and at least one male plant to every 8 female (the male plant will not produce fruit but pollinates the others.) If you get persimmons, the Japanese version is much sweeter.

We'll get you that fig tree soon! We got sidetracked cutting down (and up!) some tree branches, and helping to dig out a neighbor's retaining wall that's getting dangerous (and trying to finish the new coop, finishing the raised garden beds, fencing in the garden... Always something to do!)

So we've been helping the neighbor, who has been composting leaves for many many years. Her retaining wall is being pushed dangerously close to where she walks.
IMG_20180317_140517.jpg
IMG_20180317_140501.jpg

Yesterday, I dug the bushes out that are shown on the top of the wall. I replanted the rose bush in another flower garden for her, and spent at least two hours digging out a Rose of Sharon bush. That thing had a tap root that went down almost the entire height if that wall. So much of the dirt along the top of that wall is now dug out. The bonus for me is that I will have wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow of the dirt she's been composting there for my new raised garden beds, black crumbly loose soil full of worms, and loose and easy to dig through even after a big early morning thunderstorm. Hard work has it's own rewards! :)

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what's a strawberry tower?

Whe. I was a kid my folks planted strawberries. They made tiny fruit once and then the next hear they didn't do squat. People say the produce every year but I have not seen it

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Strawberry towers are a way to grow strawberries upright rather than spread out. He wants ever bearing strawberries so he can pick all year. He's making the towers out of a white plastic 55 gal barrel, and PVC pipes. I'll try to get some pictures today.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
For the life of me, I can't remember the zone you live in.