What to do for sunburn?

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I went swimming on Saturday for several hours, and got an awful sunburn. My face and chest are healing in the typical sunburn timeline, but my shoulders are still bright red and very tender. International date line stuff makes this confusing, but for me, the Saturday I got the burn was 84 hours ago - 3 and a half days ago.

I'm starting to get some blisters up on the sunburn, too. So far just a couple. I'm using aloe, and an aloe gel, and body lotion, and cool compresses.

Is there anything else I can do for this? I don't want to spend the money for a doctor unless I get more blisters or a fever. The burn is still firey red and hot to the touch, and too tender to have clothing on it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Raw honey is great for burns of all kinds, though this may not be feasible from a mess point of view. I've used ACV to soothe burns but I've seen some remarkable over night results with the use of honey on healing, soothing and lack of scar formation.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I was gonna say vinegar. It does work well if you don't mind smelling like a pickle :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For next time, getting the skin cooled down helps stop the burning. Mom always put us in a tap cold shower then put chilled fresh aloe on us. I had way to many sunburns as a kid. It's a desert and I have pale skin that doesn't really tan. I try and remember sunscreen if I know I'm going to be out more than an hour now.

Had to keep applying aloe and keep the skin moist. I remember using Noxema one year. I can't remember if it made that years burns heal faster, though.

I've only used honey on small wounds that I can bandage. Vinegar I know is awesome for stings. I'll have to try that the next time I burn myself as well.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ugh. I now have hundreds of little blisters all over the burn. I called the doctor, but she's not available for two weeks, and the nurse says just to keep doing what I'm doing and to not break any of the blisters. Double ugh. I haven't been able to wear a bra since I got the burn, and now I can't wear a shirt either. It's just too rough. (Hubby is loving this. Imagine that. :rolleyes:)

Now just where can a 37 year old who wears a size 12 get some tube tops?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe look for a couple of those dresses that stay up via elastic? I've seen several people around here wearing them.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If you can't find any tops, could you maybe take a some scrap material and at least use some safety pins to cover up for now?

I've never had sunburn that bad, but when I have burned, I've put Noxzema (or the store brand equivalent) on it. It helps to cool and soothe it.

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Coconut oil!@ It does wonders for burns. I actually found out by accident. Gave myself a deep 2nd degree burn on my arm a week ago, and keeping coconut oil on it not only stopped the pain it really did awesome work on the skin and helping it to heal.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Therapeutic Grade essential oils work well for burns - Lavendar is good, as is Myrrh and German Chamomile (the combo that I use on all my burns). But you MUST use the highest quality oils. What you find in the store usually doesn't cut it and could actually do more damage than help if they aren't 100% pure (in the US they can legally be sold as "essential oil" and only contain 5% of the actual oil. The other 95% is carrier).

Hope your'e feeling better!!

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I once had a sunburn that blistered on my cheek bones as a kid... my step mom put oatmeal on it (like oat meal and water turned into a paste). It felt nice if nothing else. I don't think it was cooked, so it was cool.

Latest posts