What to do with all that milk!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Okay - ya'll talked me into it. What to do with all that milk?

I decided to go ahead and start this thread now because I have a new raw goat milk product to talk about. Clabber!

Wikipedia says:

Clabber is a food produced by allowing unpasteurized milk to turn sour at a specific humidity and temperature. Over time, the milk thickens or curdles into a yogurt-like substance with a strong, sour flavor.

In rural areas of the Southern United States, it was commonly eaten for breakfast with brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, or molasses added. Some people also eat it with fruit or black pepper and cream. Prior to the now-popular use of baking soda, clabber was used as a quick leavening agent in baking.[1] Due to its stability, clabbered milk has been popular in areas without access to steady refrigeration.[2]

I've got to admit that the thought of deliberately leaving milk out to sour doesn't seem to make sense on the surface, but clabber is good stuff. Just ask my dad! Years ago when I told him I had started milking goats he asked if I ever made clabber. I didn't even know what it was. He explained it to me and told me I had to get him some. And, I did, lol!

At my house clabber is usually produced when I forget to put away the product of the evenings milking which happened yesterday. I was searching high and low for lost baby goats and totally forgot to bring the milk in. Thankfully, I had capped the jars and it was nice and safe sitting in the milk room waiting for me this morning at 5:20am. I brought it in the house, strained it and poured it into a big pot and we will let it do it's thing.

It's good as a buttermilk substitute and can probably be used as a thin sour cream. I'm going to experiment with this batch. I've got some sour cream culture that I might stir in to a small portion of it and see what happens. I even saw a recipe for cottage cheese made from clabbered milk. I will definitely try this one. It'll be a couple days before I can experiment - but pictures if it turns out. :fl

http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/cottage-cheese-made-from-sour-milk.html

Hope some other folks can come up with ideas for using all that milk that I haven't thought of.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love cottage cheese and that's the only way I've heard people eating clabbered milk. A lot of people feed it to chickens and pigs. Then again I do this with store bought soured milk too but it comes out more like ricotta because of the pasteurization and homogenous nature. I use it in lasagna if my kids (children) don't catch me making it. If that happens they eat it up.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm mildly scared of this idea. I think I won't be trying it, lol! Plus I'm a pasteurization freak. But I am interested in hearing about it!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Plus I'm a pasteurization freak

All personal choice, of course. :) I'm anti-pasteurization, lol. We do lots of raw dairy around here. I'd re-think it if I had a small child in the house though. The clabber has to be heated before making cottage cheese and the milk for the yogurt too - so it won't be exactly raw when done.

Then again I do this with store bought soured milk too but it comes out more like ricotta because of the pasteurization and homogenous nature

That's interesting because I've read that you can't do it with pasteurized milk... who knew?

I gave it a little taste just a few minutes ago and it's not the least bit repulsive - in fact, it tastes a little sweet. Guess it's not soured enough yet!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hmm no I don't care if people drink raw milk. I just don't. And yes it's primarily due to the resident 4 year old in my house! I do really hate the ultra pasteurized junk though, let's let something live huh?

Anyway, clabber sounds interesting. I can't say I've ever heard of it!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
FEM you are awesome :hugs Now, pics and processes and recipes please!

(I'm not asking for much am I? :p)