What to do with goose feathers?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
This morning my neighbor knocks on the door wearing his camo and asks if I want a goose. Heck yeah I want a goose! Do I want three geese? In for a penny in for a dollar. So I've got 3 Canadian Geese that I'm getting ready to pluck. Do you still dip them in boiling water to get them ready to pluck like a chicken and then dry the feathers? How do you save the down?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
We pluck first, then process - none of the boiling water thing. They usually come out pretty easily anyway. But I'd assume by now you've already got them in the oven.. LOL

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Funny BB... I wish they were in the oven! They take FOREVER to pluck, or maybe I'm just slow because I've never done this before. I'll tell you what though... they sure aren't chickens :lol:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
a wise man said to me "ducks (or waterfowl) aint chickens"...and that is for sure!

wow it took forever for us to pluck one of our ducks - we gave up. now being The Worlds Worst Pluckers didnt help either...... but we gave it up and skinned them. easy peasy.

if you havent finished.. i think you can use parafin to take off the hard to get feathers. and yes, you can scald them.

let us know how it goes!
:)

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I did end up skinning one. After seeing the amount of feathers, I'm probably not going to bother saving them due to my time constraints right now.

I'm also donating the other two geese to another neighbor J who will skin them tomorrow with his brother and pop them in the smoker. Thank goodness they all love me. They consider us entertainment so because we make them laugh, they'll give us one of the smoked ones when it's done!

Okay, so here's the other thing that happened... I was approaching this project somewhat gingerly because it's been about a year since I did my first batch of chickens and haven't tackled anything since then. J. said I was on my own this morning and that I didn't need his help anyway. So I gingerly laid the first one on my work table and prepared to take off the wings. I was told by google that taking the wings off first was a good thing.

So I moved it about, figured out where the joint was and started cutting. Well, it slipped a bit on the table so I quick grapped it and ended up putting some pressure on the body to hold it. Well that dang thing HONKED on me. :lol: I about lost it.

J. (who actually was a butcher before he retired) came over tonight to see how it had gone. I proudly showed him my one carcass and he started laughing. Not just giggling but belly laughing. He called me a butcher and it wasn't a compliment :D.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
So here's my final thought... what to do with goose feathers? Leave'em on the goose :gig

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
To answer the original question The big flight and Tail feathers can be used as Quill pens if you learn how. or can be sold for crafts to people who do. They are also used to make fake wood grain by some skilled people.
The mid sized feathers with a stiff quill are usually discarded though I have heard of people who remove the Quill and use the remainder for pillows or cold weather clothing.
The fine feathers and down of course are used in feather beds. and lightweight high bulk cold weather gear

I strongly suggest washing Waterfoul feathers if used for bedding or fine clothing. They may smell fine when fresh but the oil in the feathers can go rancid with age and smelly funky.

The way I wash them in cool water with a good grease grabbing detergent.(Dawn) Hot water can cause them to felt up. Put them in pillow cases first for ease of handling. Make sure that all the feathers are wetted. and rinse many times to remove the detergent which has grabbed your oil. Pat water out do not Wring. Clothes line in the sun fluff often or wet bunches will form and start to mold. Frankly a clothes dryer works better. Lowest heat setting or just tumble without heat. When dry store in a varmit proof container because mice and rats just love to eat feathers! ~gd

Latest posts