what to do with small, mesh bags (e.g. from onions)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Like the ones from 1- or 3-lb bags of onions, you know?

I know I periodically find myself wishing I had saved a few of these. Now I have saved a few of these and I cannot for the life of me recall what I thought I was going to DO with them :p They're too flimsy to use as scrubbies.

Thoughts?

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
This is funny Pat, because I have a bunch too. I saved them in case I needed to store garlic bulbs or onions from the garden. Well, I haven't used one yet, but I hope to some day. :rolleyes:

candyd

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I use them to hang suet for the birds. They are great :)

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I read in The Tightwad Gazette years ago that you could roll them up, secure w' a rubber band and use as a sponge/scrubber for dishes.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I think garlic storage is what I had been thinking of! Thank you! :)

They're too fine and flimsy to use as scrubbies unfortunately.

I like the chicken treat bag idea too, will have to see what I can rig up that way.

Thanks!

Pat, collapsing after having spent all afternoon doing two sonotube post footings for one of the new chicken runs (dug two 3' deep holes in bricklike clay despite water table about 12" below soil surface - utility pump died, so ended up hand-bailing - and may have inhaled more cement dust than I thought I did b/c man do my lungs feel awful right now, but I did my level best on it and it is DONE now, for better or worse, hopefully I have enough insulation on to let the concrete cure ok)

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Pat, collapsing after having spent all afternoon doing two sonotube post footings for one of the new chicken runs (dug two 3' deep holes in bricklike clay despite water table about 12" below soil surface - utility pump died, so ended up hand-bailing - and may have inhaled more cement dust than I thought I did b/c man do my lungs feel awful right now, but I did my level best on it and it is DONE now, for better or worse, hopefully I have enough insulation on to let the concrete cure ok)
Wow, you can come help me any day. I'll even feed you.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Use them for your sausage and other seasonings when you boil crawfish, shrimp, crabs, etc. That way it's all convenient when you when you empty the seafood onto the table. :lol:

Dang, I miss south Louisiana!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
In the past, we've filled them with things for the wild birds to use as nesting material........chicken feathers, bits of dog fur, plant trimmings, twine, grass clippings, and bits of straw and/or hay.