What to do with....

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Metal mail boxes.

During the last big storm some one wiped out our mailbox set up - ours and two neighbors. DH built a lovely new set up for all three boxes. So we have two metal mailboxes, rusted and pretty banged up.

What ideas do you all have for them??

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sink them in the ground & put plants in them? Something like mint that will spread if not contained, so the box prevents it from taking over your yard.....

Paint it and attach it to the chicken coop?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Also for the garden- paint them, place at edge of garden and place your vegetable garden row chart inside.

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Every civilized flock should have a mailbox!
286_p1010088.jpg

Actually Dace, one of my rescues got fan mail for a while....
She was featured in PeoplePets and Angel Animals network.
http://www.peoplepets.com/news/hear...-rescued-chicken-becomes-beloved-family-pet/1

She's an insufferable diva now.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hahahahaha! I love it!!

Sylvies suggestion jogged a memory....I read somewhere to place an old mailbox in the garden and you can keep pruning shears, trowel, green tape and such inside. You could paint is a pretty design too :)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I don't see why you couldn't do what I did with my mailbox......
I live out in the country a bit, so the snow plows and neighborhood idiots can be kinda tuff on mailboxes. :he
I took a short (1ft long) piece a stainless exhaust pipe and buried it. Next up was another piece of stainless exhaust pipe that just fit inside the first piece. This piece was about 4.5 ft long, and had a 90 degree bend in it, with about 12-15 inches hanging out towards the street. Next, I drilled two holes about 1/4" in diameter, and mounted a couple of threaded hook eyes in the part of the pipe hanging towards the street. I drilled 2 holes in the top of the mailbox to mount two more o the threaded hook eyes into the top it. Then I took a piece of 3/8" rod and used it to mount the mail box to the pipe. Clear as mud, right? Think of it this way. The pipe can pivot from side to side. The mailbox can swing in the wind. If something hits this contraption, it either turns or swings, doing ZERO damage to the mailbox itself...... Let me go get a picture.....

OK......Here ya go.......

383598739.jpg

and
383598628.jpg

If I come out to get the mail and the post is twisted, I just move it(twist it) back into the proper position. The mailbox itself just swings in the breeze.......
This setup has been in place for just over 15 years now. Before that I was buying a new mailbox about every 3 years. THAT sh!t got old REAL quick!!

Ya also can see some of the abuse this poor old box takes....

nop169

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We use them as Sylvie does except we place them in flower beds and at points around the farm to store small hand tools in. For example, near the rose beds we keep pruners gloves & a hand shovel in there & in summer I leave my oil spray & water fertilizer thingy there. Near the poultry (mounted on one of the kennel "tractors") we have one with scissors, twine, sulmet & leg paste for mites. At the barn one holds the bander & bands for the goat kids. I mainly put them where they are away from the house/barn & out building so I do not have to walk as far & where the items I use often are at hand. Some are mounted on "unique" cedar poles with roots. Others strapped onto the nearest wall..... works well for me & can be mounted/painted artistically.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Hubby said you could make a small entry hole and use them for a bird house. I would have used it for tool storage.

I love Skr8pin's mailbox. :bow You get an award for that one.