what to feed cockerals before slaughter?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My cocks are about 12 weeks old and still skinny. What should I feed them to fatten them up and make them taste better before slaughter?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are they skinny because they're young or are they skinny because of the breed they are? I've never done anything special with my cull cockerels, maybe @Beekissed has suggestions for you! She knows chicken feeding WAY more than I do for sure. Mine aren't usually butchered until at least 16-20 weeks though.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mine were all skinny before I started Fermented Feed (Bee's suggestion!) and free ranging Oct 31st. All my birds gained weight on half the feed! I can't add links on this phone, but I take equal amounts of their pellet feed and water. Mix together. Stir once - twice a day. A white coating will cover it on day two. Wait at least 3 - 5 days before starting to feed to your birds. It should be slightly fluffy ( not wet and sloppy, and not too dry). This will smell fermented, so you might want to keep it in a shed outside. Some people keep it in two 5 gallon buckets so they always have some fermenting. I keep mine in an old cooler. If it's cold outside, I add warm water when I'm first starting it.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
maybe breed. Most of them are rir but I have some black sex links. They are twice the size of the rir

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mine were all skinny before I started Fermented Feed (Bee's suggestion!) and free ranging Oct 31st. All my birds gained weight on half the feed! I can't add links on this phone, but I take equal amounts of their pellet feed and water. Mix together. Stir once - twice a day. A white coating will cover it on day two. Wait at least 3 - 5 days before starting to feed to your birds. It should be slightly fluffy ( not wet and sloppy, and not too dry). This will smell fermented, so you might want to keep it in a shed outside. Some people keep it in two 5 gallon buckets so they always have some fermenting. I keep mine in an old cooler. If it's cold outside, I add warm water when I'm first starting it.

So just fermenting regular feed made a difference?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was thinking about switching them over to cracked corn for a few weeks before time. Idk if that would help or not

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Breed can make a huge difference. Silkies don't get any meat on them until after 6 months old. Ameraucana are almost as bad.

If I had a place to put it, I'd try the fermented feed. Everyone I know who feeds it swears by it.

Beekissed is the one who knows best here

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Chic Rustler, you and I started this journey about the same time, so I'm no expert. But late last fall I was concerned about how skinny my flock was with winter coming. I only have two young roosters, so I don't separate them out. I have a very mixed flock. Every one of them started gaining weight after I started the Fermented Feed (FF) and free ranging on Oct 31st. Overall, using FF, I use less food, with better results. I also throw out occasional BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds).

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Our RIRs are always scrawny. Age doesn't matter. First time we butchered at 21 weeks. Now I prefer to butcher them over a year old and can the meat. Ends up more tender than butchered young. I can the legs (deboned) and breast, then the rest of the carcass into the freezer for soup. I haven't tried fermented food. Maybe this year. To reduce waste moreso than because I think they'll gain better.