What to plant

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Havent made up my mind yet. Im thinking more staples like potatoes and sweet corn. I have 3 beds. One of them garlic, one will be onions and another really big carrots.
My wife makes the best canned carrots!

Anyhow. I might do a couple tomatoes but thats it. No squash this year, the squash bugs and vine borers were really bad last season so i want to throw them off. Maybe a row of okra just to sell pickled okra. Then potatoes and corn. What are some other good staples? Maybe some pinto beans and black eyed peas. We still have ALOT of green beans from our yard long beans so i probably wont need any more green beans this year. That was a bumper crop!

Any other ideas?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They dont keep well and i dont like pickled beets. But i love them raw, fresh out of the garden.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you grow greens. Lettuce, kale, etc? Herbs? Cabbages?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah we grew peas last year. Bout the time it got warm (may) they died off. Thats more of a snack type thing.

I may just stick with corn and potatoes. You can eat them with every meal. And then do legumes after i harvest corn.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you grow greens. Lettuce, kale, etc? Herbs? Cabbages?

Yeah did that last year. The greens were gone by summer. Im thinking more staples. Idk...i may do turnips just for the greens. We canned alot of them last year and they were good.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thats a good idea. And they like to be stored in a warm place like a shed in Texas heat. Do you think they would do well in a bte garden?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What growing zone are you in? You mention that stuff was gone by summer, or didn't last. Many crops are short length. The beauty of them is that you can grow and harvest a crop, and follow it with an other veggie, thus getting double the harvest on a single bed. If you plant cool weather crops just as soon as you can break through the frost, you will get a good harvest there, then can follow up with some warm season crops.

Perhaps find a squash variety that is more immune to borers and squash bugs?

If you're in a warm zone, how bout sweet potato?

If you like salsa, you might consider plants that would give you everything you need to make some nice salsa with a lot of kick (or just a little kick). Cilantro, tomatoes, Jalapenos or Habaneros. You've already got the garlic and onions. Home made salsa makes a wonderful gift, not to mention how it wakes up the morning eggs.

Got more space than the crops you intend to plant? How bout growing some green manure or chicken fodder crops.