What type heating do you have?

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
We're stubbed for gas, but we never installed a gas furnace and rely on our old wood burning stove. The thing is a huge beast and will smoke up the house if the front door is left open, but it burns hot and will accept some pretty huge logs.

In the back room where the girls sleep we have an electric oil filled radiator to take the edge off, but try go get the heat from the stove throughout the house during the day.

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have a propane furnace but at 2.89 a gallon propane is very expensive. We had to use it for three weeks (everyone here was sick with a cold or sinus problems so I kept it a little warmer to end the whinning). The tank was at 50% and I had it filled (they fill to 80%). The bill was almost $500.00. It motivated us to find some coal for the stove in the basement - our usual supplier quit selling this year. We had to have it delivered - 82.00 delivery fee for 5 tons and 139.00 a ton. Ouch! But coal burns longer and hotter than wood. We had been burnng wood and it needed to be fed every two hours and never heated upstairs over 70 degrees. The coal has the frontroom at 76 degrees right now (I left the damper too far open when I went out to tend animals this morning). I feed the fire every four hours and over night it lasts with a few extra chunks all night. Coal is the way to go. The pieces are small enough to handle (I have one wounded hand thanks to a mad rooster and I can still work the fire) and it is very good heat! I bring in a 5 gallon bucket of coal twice a day if it is real cold out. Last year we used three tons and no wood. So our back-up wood/coal stove is our real source of heat! Also if the power goes out we still get heat coming from the stove up the staircase.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wish I ws $2.89 propane
we are $3.99 right now.
ARGH!

I love a coal stove. The heat is wonderful and put on low that sucker burns a long time!

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
3.99! Ouch! We paid just under 2.00 a gallon last year and I thought that was bad!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you must be closer to a big supply factory or something???? I don't know why we are so high here....might find out..LOL...nice to know why I am paying so much more.

the old heating and AC are sure bill breakers..LOL

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have an efficient heat pump. I'm actually pretty happy with it. We have a wood stove which we don't use very often. The southern wall of our house is all windows, so on a sunny winter day, we can hit 80 degrees in here wihtout any heat on :cool:

Our electric bill averages out to $150 a month which includes all our electricty, heating, and central air.

Miltonchix

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Its Christmas morning (MERRY CHRISTMAS!!) ya'll are talking heat and my Air Conditioner is running like mad. 3 days ago it was 23 degrees and my energy efficient heat pump was keeping the house nice and warm and today, at 7:30am, its 75 degrees!!
I keep telling DW this ain't right. Christmas and no snow............ it could at least be colder than heck.

1 year old heat pump here with generator backup. VERY energy efficient. (Saved approx. 35% on electric bill)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:D I think we're re-thinking our heating situation and looking at woodburners soon LOL. Our power went out last night at 12am, and didn't come back on until 12pm today.

That wouldn't be such a huge deal ordinarily, but we have 2 litters of puppies right now that are both under 2 weeks old.

Latest posts