What We Actually Eat / What to Stock Up On

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
This article is a fantastic reference.

If you eat Standard American Diet, it gives you an idea of how much you eat in a year. That info can help you decide how much to stock up on.

However, if you don't want to be average (overweight, metabolic disease, etc), or your idea of prepping is getting healthy (maybe get off medications), then use the info to show you what NOT to do. ;)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do believe it. When I go out to eat, I'm always amazed at how small the veggie servings are, and so limited in variety. I think I've only seen Swiss Chard served once to me in nearly 70 years of eating out. Same thing with looking for canned or frozen veggies, an extremely limited variety.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I do believe it. When I go out to eat, I'm always amazed at how small the veggie servings are, and so limited in variety. I think I've only seen Swiss Chard served once to me in nearly 70 years of eating out. Same thing with looking for canned or frozen veggies, an extremely limited variety.
Fascinating (horrifying) that most vegetable consumption is in the forms of french fries, ketchup, and pizza sauce.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
There's something to be said for chewing on tough foods. DS14 had horrible crooked teeth. I declined orthodontics because he was refusing to brush his teeth. But, his diet consists of a lot of raw fruits and vegetables - chunks of fennel, beet, apple, lots of leafy greens, dates, prunes, figs, etc. The chewing stimulates jaw bone growth. His teeth are straight now. 😲 I had read about the effect but never imagined to see it happen.

DS6's permanent teeth are coming in very crooked. I'm declining serial extractions and offering chewy foods. He's more fussy, but I can get him to eat homemade chewy fruit leather.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Eating out is the worse food. Even if the food is higher quality than normal, the preparation method of using rancid vegetable oils is common.