What would be the proper tool for this?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Somone here HAS to have an idea on this. I have 3 crane and dozer counter weights, solid chunks of steel, back in my woods. I need to get them out. We have a pretty beaten down walking path, maybe 3 feet wide, from pulling the cart out through the woods. The problem is....we have these huge counter weights ranging in size from about 500-1000 pounds or better. How would you go about getting them up first off, and dragged out? Would a 4 wheeler drag them out? I can borrow a "cherry picker" hoist to get them into the truck to haul off, but we have to get them about 100 yards out of the woods, preferrably without cutting a bunch of trees. Any ideas? I don't think a tractor will fit through our path. And does anyone know if you can rent 4 wheelers?

Sorry there are so many questions :hide

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
How about a winch or a come along to get them out of the woods to a place where they will be more accessible?

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If fitting a vehicle is an issue, and you are willing to rent something, how about trying to get a deal on renting a skidsteer? I've seen those things haul huge chunks of concrete slab, and not even struggle!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
A skid steerer or some other small piece of equipment might be the way to go if it would fit. Not only that, but you might even be able to get the pieces up in the back of the pickup w/it.

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A skid steer, with tracks, instead of tires, would do the least damage to lawn areas. It works great, even if it is raining, tires may dig in. A 150 model, is rated to lift 1500 lbs.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas! A skidsteer...I'll have to see if I can locate one at the local rental place and see if it's worth the money to get those things out of the woods. I'm not too worried about lawn, since it's just the woods. I hope those things aren't too wide, that's the main issue since the trail is kind of narrow, but I'll go look at one some time today or tomorrow. Thanks again for the idea :D

I may have to couple it with Bees winch idea, which I had thought of also, to get them to a wider part of the trail.

There is actually a "Jeep trail" back there on the other side where I can get access to one of them without a winch, but the other 2 or 3 are not close enough.

Either way ya slice it, they're gonna be a bit of a pain.

One large piece of crane I may have to take out the same way......as soon as we chop down the tree that the chain has grown into :/ The links on that chain are a good 6 inches each, and about 2 links on either side are grown into a tree :lol: That crane is every bit of 60 years old, and been sitting there for 30 years or so ;)

Off topic, but......it's really interesting to see the stuff back there. I have found some old soda bottles in the cab of that crane that date back to the 1960's. RC and Kick Cola bottles, it's pretty neat. I almost hate to bother the stuff. It's like it's frozen in time. Remnants of DH's granddad. He is likely the very person who drank those sodas so many years ago, and he has been gone for a few decades. I never knew my granddads, so it kind of sets me back a bit when I find something like that. DH is not sentimental like that though :hu

BACOG

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Thanks for the ideas! A skidsteer...I'll have to see if I can locate one at the local rental place and see if it's worth the money to get those things out of the woods.
The metal can be sold as scrap to offset some of the cost.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BACOG said:
Wannabefree said:
Thanks for the ideas! A skidsteer...I'll have to see if I can locate one at the local rental place and see if it's worth the money to get those things out of the woods.
The metal can be sold as scrap to offset some of the cost.
Yeah we are scrapping all of this stuff. I meant if it would be cost effective, as this is currently our only income and we're pretty close to broke at the moment :lol: So I was simply wondering aloud if it'd be worth the rental fees and ammount of aggravation to get those pieces ourselves, or split with someone who does it for other people ;)

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey- clean up the old bottles and cans! My daughter pullled 5-5 gallon buckets of old glass bottles out of our ditch a few years ago. And she cleaned them up and made @ $200.00 from them. She had a couple rare soda bottles that she asked 5.00 each for when she sold them the guy gave her 10.00 each and said he was still getting a good deal for them! Many were old medicine bottles that she got .50-5.00 each for.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah I have kept a bunch of them. There are old soda bottles, medicine bottles, liquor bottles, etc. but there is no market for them around here.