What would you pay???

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I came across an antique treadle singer sewing machine today. They say it works. Case/ sewing table is great looking with three drawers down each side. Was thinking about picking it up. What do you think it's worth? thought it would be great to add to SS supplys. gina

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If it is in an antique store, it is probably overpriced.

In the past, I have seen some at garage/yard sales for $35-$50, but they weren't in mint condition.

Maybe have a look on ebay and see if any are listed.

I think one would be a great addition.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ouch I think this one is way overpriced. Granted it is in San Diego Ca my have something to do with it. thanks gina

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Any sewing machine (at least, any one I've ever seen or owned) could be converted for manual use, if need be, simply by attaching a foot treadle to the wheel on the side of the machine. So if this is just about 'what if someday I didn't have electricity' you don't really need an old nonelectric one per se.

Some people LOVE the old foot-treadle machines, though, and would not trade them for an electric model no matter what. I think if you do some googling you're likely to run into their websites and you could pick up some useful pointers about which makes/models are best and how to make sure one is in good shape. I see them for about $25-75 sometimes in thrift stores around here but I don't know the mechanical condition of those.

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Very helpful link. Thank you. I tried to find some comparrisons earlier today and must have been looking in the wrong place. I think at this point if I bought a new machine I would have to go modern. I really want a serger. But, if I find one of these maybe a little cheaper I will snatch it up. thanks ;yo for the great advice. gina