What's at the top of your To-do list?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
To do list....hmmmm...got 3 days to read it?

Get in the rest of the firewood.
Contact local VFD to see if they clean out chimneys.
Check all smoke alarms and replace batteries.
Patch all gutters, clean them out and paint the rust spots.
Paint rust streaks on roof.
Insulate the cellar.
Install window in outbuilding.
Develop better winter watering system for chickens.
Refurbish dog beds and houses with fresh bedding and straw.
Worm the animals.
Secure all stored feed from rodent attacks by placing in large plastic bins.
Clean out and organize building and work bench for the 10 millionth time this year (teenagers! :rolleyes: )
Clean all windows and screens of summer dust and pollen.
Make apple sauce and apple butter.
Clean up garden beds and plant cover crops or mulch thickly with old mulch hay.
Change roosts in henhouse to allow for additional 23 chickens.
Saw dead limbs off apple trees, prune grape vines and do last trimming of fence lines.
Install wood box on porch, fill with wood, install stove back into living room and lay a fire for the next cold morning.
New soil for cold frames and plant lettuce, mulch well.
Barter with neighbors for potatoes with offer of apples.

Well, you get the idea.... :D That was the list for Sept/Oct.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW now that was a cool post to read!
a stage coach stop and all that history. carriage house attached also. COOL
that is so interesting about the past of your home. I just love all that type of information and those bottles you found! WOW again. I would love to discover old things like that on my property. You need to acquire a metal detector! All I found was old beer bottles in the branch/ditch in the tree lines when fencing...LOL...I guess someone's teenagers had a blast back there in the woods! :)

I did find a few Indian arrow heads in the produce fields (I think that is what they are) and researched a bit about the landowners of the area way back when...it was intersting.

And the spooks....I believe that kids are so more receptive than adults. So that is why they may be tuning in! I believe there is something that can happen and I am a huge Ghost Hunters fan! LOL.....as long as nothing bad happens, you got the classic great old house!

Tony said when he was little they moved alot cause FIL was in the army. The got an old house off base and he swore he saw a ghost once...but I said, probably he ate too much before bed...LOL...but he was happy to move from that home. I truly find that kind of stuff so intersting. They say homes hold spirits and yours could be one of them. With such age, I wouldn't be surprised at all. NEAT!

thanks for the great post, I enjoyed it! I can't get enough of the old histories out there!

Alot of my camping vacations are going to old plantations and places like that. Just hold so much interest for me, but sadly I have to drag Tony..HA HA---one of my next trips will be Willamsburg, Virginia. Close and alot of history!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey beekissed
when you get a chance change the animal feed containers over to metal. My horse feed was stored in a plastic garbage can and Yup, some big butt rat ate a big hole thru the bottom. Those suckers never give up!

So now everything I store is metal --just a suggestion for later ---when I could I replaced all plastic with 55 gallon drums to store goat, cattle, hog, chicken feed. rat proofing is a pain..LOL..but they ain't getting thru that metal...HA HA

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the simple life said:
So anyway thats the gist of it, I don't want to scare you (or me) too much.
LOL! Funny! When we lived in our old house, I wouldn't talk about it in the house (on the phone, or on the computer) but now that I"m far away I mention it occasionally. The funny (or not) thing about it all was that DH does not/DID not believe in ghosts. It's totally against his whole religious background and belief system. So he'd try so hard to "not" see hear things and try to ignore and say it's not happening. Things like the locked/bolted door just flying open and slamming shut, and then another at the other end of the house a few seconds later. It'd happen right in front of him and it just got to the point that he couldn't pretend that it wasn't happening anymore, but he still didn't acknowledge that it was ghosts. Well whatever you want to call it, there was nothing physical there to do the things that happened. There were many many nights that I could not sleep, or would get hardly any sleep b/c of noises/sounds/ alot of people talking/laughing etc. It was wild. Some nights it sounded like someone was having a social gathering/party in the other room. The last couple months there I wouldn't be in the house alone b/c too many scary things had happened. (it was getting ugly at that point)

The end of scary talk! How did I get all this from a to do list? ;)

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Heather,
Your husband and mine sound exactly alike, but he got to the point where he couldn't explain stuff anymore.

We hear those conversations as well, you come home from being out and you hear a party going on in the other room. I use to think someone left the tv on or something and I would go in to shut it off and all of a sudden its quiet.

One night I was lying in bed and I heard my husband come in from work.
I usually lock it from the inside and if I am in bed he will knock for me to let him in.
I heard him come in and I realized I must not have locked it.
I heard his keys jangling real loud and I thought hmmm he must have been given alot more keys at work, it sounds like alot of keys.
I heard him go in the kitchen and drop something down real loud, it kind of sounded like a tool box but I knew he wouldn't have brought that into the kitchen so I assumed he picked up a couple of cases of water on the way home, like he does sometimes and dropped them down.
Then I heard him talk to my son for a few minutes and I remember thinking they were being too loud and were going to wake the children.
Then I heard him go into the hallway outside our bedroom door to get changed out of his uniform like he does every night.
So when he doesn't come to bed, I get up to see where he is.
I got out of bed and he wasn't anywhere. His car wasn't even in the driveway.
I went upstairs and my son was awake and on the computer.
I said where is your dad and he said I don't know. I heard him come in and he was being so loud, I heard him talk to you for a few minutes and then when I went downstairs a minute later he wasn't there. No car, nothing.
I said he didn't talk to me I heard him talk to you. He said nope not me, I came down and he wasn't there.
We both swore that we heard him talking to the other.
We checked the kitchen and there was no toolbox, water etc.
We looked at the kitchen door and it was latched from the inside.
I called him and said where are you and he said On my way home from work.

Karen,
Thats awesome about going to Colonial Williamsburg, would love to go there.
We have Sturbridge Village not too far from us, and its got alot of things going on there all the time.
I love those old villages. I live even closer to the Plimouth Plantation and we go there every so often with the kids and then go down to see the mayflower.
Plymouth has alot of history, but what happens is you live so close that you get use to it and take it for granted.
Thats how it is with Boston too. I live like 20 minutes from there but I hate dealing with the traffic and parking.
Its too bad because there is so much to do, Fanuel Hall and all that.
My daughter goes to college there now so when we visit we hang out at the Public Gardens and the Boston Commons, go on the swan boats and have lunch etc.
So it gets us in to town more often now that she is there.
Salem is a cool place to visit, especially in October. Lots of stuff to do there.
Didn't you say you lived in Massachusetts at one time?
If you did then you know what I am talking about.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey guys I love these occurrences, but have never had one so I am sure I would feel different if I lived it!!!

I kinda woiuld love to have an experience, but then again...I might become Super Chicken ya know..HA HA

yes I loved Boston. I travelled that area like crazy and enjoyed it but you are so right about the traffic and such. When I lived in CT I went to I explored all of its historic areas also. I just search them out cause anything old just captures me.

We recently went camping just about 2 hrs. away to relax for the weekend, and the campground site was an old plantation and they kep the original outbuildings etc...it was cool to walk the trails and see the "cold storage", the "tobacco sheds" and everything else...Old coal handheld burners to dry the tobacco and such.

Every single time I see an old barn I say to Tony----I would love to just ramble in there! Love to see the old equipment, old harness, old saddles, tools, etc. etc.

I don't know why but I have to see it when I am around it....if I know there is an old grist mill or something nearby wherever I am I must stop........LOL.....Tony just goes along for the ride, cause he always stops if we travel and he sees a tractor store..HA HA

It is disappearing in a way. I put Willamsburg up on the internet and it looks wonderful but it seems so commercialized....selling the old times instead of just perserving them...oh well...I will take what I can..HA HA

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Makes tons of inventory for soap for Christmas...getting slammed already with orders and I have some craft/holiday fairs scheduled so much make ALOT of soap now and get it ready.
Karen, if you don't mind me asking, how much do you sell your soap for a piece? We went on a sustainable farm tour his weekend and one owner makes goat milk soap. They were about 2.5 in round bars and she priced them at $3.00/each.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Our to do list is as follows:

Finish fencing large pasture area for 3 goats (almost done! woot!)
Put new roof on Bantam Coop (should be done in a week! woot!)
Winterize coops (mostly done)
Build new grower pen for chicks that are currently in the house
Finish stacking firewood, cut more firewood
Build small wood shed by back door

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we are 5 oz bars. I like selling good sizes for showers and such. small bars do disappear too fast and are so tiny in my hand...lol....so I made them big for my comfort

$5 per bar---or our farmer market special is 3 bars for $12

no one frowns on the price but I know I can't go up much more cause with the economy the way it is...I don't want this luxury type item being taken off customers lists but my customers are so loyal cause they love the chemical free soaps.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I had forgotten I needed to do this, but I stained and sealed all the outdoor furniture today.
I usually do it in the spring but it didn't need it, but with all the rain we had it needed it now.
So its all set for next year since it will be stored away.