What's for dinner tonight?

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, I went to the store, got a bunch of veggies and some meat in the freezer, but kinda stuck on what to do with it. I'm tryin' to stay low-carb, so tryin' to cook different.

I got:
onions
tomotoes
bell pepper
spaghatti squash
acorn squash
butternut squash
green beans
zucchini
yellow squash
garlic
avacados
eggplant
blueberries
apples
pears

freezer:
chicken
stew beef
roast
pork loin
HB
fish

suggestions?

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You look like a stir-fry waitin' to happen. 'Course I always like a good stir fry thingy to go on top of rice but that's just me.
I don't know what we're going to have. It's cold out so it's probably a good day for a tuna casserole. This family just loves tuna casserole.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Acorn squash halves, baked, with butter and a few drops of molasses. Saute'd green beans with minced garlic and butter. Baked chicken (the squash can go in the oven with it) with the skin on, nice and crispy!

Or...

Spaghetti squash with LOTS of spaghetti sauce and parmesan. Some ground beef for the sauce, or if you don't have any, stew beef cooked a long time and shredded. A big salad with avacado, tomato, onion, peppers.

Or...

Pork loin roast with butternut squash mashed with butter, and a colorful stir-fry of Yellow squash, onions, garlic, green beans, peppers, zucchini.

I usually have most of my carbs with lunch, as in bread for a sandwich. How many people are you feeding, btw?

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
oh there are just three of us, but we eat like there are 6. we love food. I know, that's bad.

I was just thinking I could see what other people were having since ya'll eat better than we do, do the copy and paste thing and have a good meal plan for the coming weeks. make sense?

I tend to make the same stuff over and over and over and over... you get the idea.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am making homemade pizza with lots of veggies on top and a big salad.

I am going to make a mostly whole wheat crust and mine will be very very samll since I already had a giant half of a bagel.....now to figure out what to have for lunch that does not include carbs! Maybe a veggie & egg scramble.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
oh, the pizza sound wonderful.

I bet if I made the crust whole wheat and thin like a cracker, it wouldn't be too bad on the carbs side.....

oh, that sounds good!:drool

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace said:
.....now to figure out what to have for lunch that does not include carbs! Maybe a veggie & egg scramble.
lunch today is a butternut squash, baked with seasonings and butter.... it's ok. nothing to write home about

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What free said :drool
Stir-fry without the rice is lower carb.

We had some AWESOME soup this weekend. I had some overly sprouted wheat in the freezer. I sauted onion, garlic & dried button mushrooms in butter on low, then added a piece of shredded leftover chicken & a quart of chicken stock. Some kale, tarragon, majoram, basil & thyme and the chopped wheat sprouts, let it simmer. Then right before serving I added a little pat of butter to everybody's bowl. No bread on the side, since it had the wheat, but everybody loved it, including the 3 very picky kids I sat on Saturday night.
It would be good without the wheat berries too.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've seen kale before, but it looked more like a plate garnish then food you actually eat.

huh.....kale. wouldda never thought