whats going on with these peaches?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
they all are turning brown on the tree. isnit bugs? what should i do next year to prevent it?
20210613_100819.jpg
20210613_100821.jpg

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Turkeys, chickens etc.... kept the bug populations in check. Bugs cause problems, and spread diseases....

Seriously.... turkeys were kept in orchards in A-frame type coops....for night-time protection from predators.... and they patrolled the orchards religiously... One reason why I want this fenced so I can get some turkeys again and let them "have the orchard" .....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Turkeys, chickens etc.... kept the bug populations in check. Bugs cause problems, and spread diseases....

Seriously.... turkeys were kept in orchards in A-frame type coops....for night-time protection from predators.... and they patrolled the orchards religiously... One reason why I want this fenced so I can get some turkeys again and let them "have the orchard" .....
My experience...

The only bug a turkey won't eat, is one it can't catch.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love the Royal Palm Turkeys, the black and white, they are so pretty!
I like their feather pattern also. According to wikipedia The Royal Palm is on the watch list (not that I have much confidence in wikipedia, in these days of censorship). But you should try them and help the breed. My bourbon red's seem to be well behaved, unlike chickens that get into everything. When I got my BR's wikipedia said they were endangered, now it says watch so see I single handedly helped the breed 😂 (joke).

But besides Turkey Tom's are a hoot. Their gobble will make you laugh or at least bring a smile to your face. So they are just fun to have around. Plus I forgot to mention the best trait of all... They are delicious 😋.

Just remember to teach your young Turkey tom that you are the big bird of the flock. By extending your arms out like wings and you shouldn't have any problem with him from then on out. But if you do... There's always the oven and cornbread stuffing and cranberries 😊

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry about your peaches. Lost my first crop of plums in 3 yrs due to a bug. Will spray next year!!!! We learn the hard way. :idunno maybe we can BOTH have pics of good harvests in 2022!.

Google gave me the info.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Something similar happened to My limes earlier in the year. At the time the tree was loaded and the weather was wet and hot, so I assumed the rot was caused by that. My fruit doesnt tend to get very big generally so i figure a few were on the overripe side for my young trees.

I picked as much that was close to ready and I dumped the affected fruit. New fruit seems good again now the temperature has dropped 🤷‍♀️

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My royal palms were great... and even the bb whites that I got from a friend to raise for turkey dinners... did a very good job of foraging when they were smaller... I have a couple in the freezer that are 30+ lbs dressed... you know they were huge when I got them in the cattle trailer to take up to butcher... I have found that if you raise them up free ranging, they will still do a creditable job even as they get big....If their legs grow and they don';t gain weight too fast, then they can support the heavier weights for quite awhile....

That is why they were used in orchards so much.... as @CrealCritter said, the only bug they didn't eat was one they could not catch. They do a fantastic job of "gleaning" the fallen fruit in the fall and disposing of so many of the larvae that overwinter too.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My royal palms were great... and even the bb whites that I got from a friend to raise for turkey dinners... did a very good job of foraging when they were smaller... I have a couple in the freezer that are 30+ lbs dressed... you know they were huge when I got them in the cattle trailer to take up to butcher... I have found that if you raise them up free ranging, they will still do a creditable job even as they get big....If their legs grow and they don';t gain weight too fast, then they can support the heavier weights for quite awhile....

That is why they were used in orchards so much.... as @CrealCritter said, the only bug they didn't eat was one they could not catch. They do a fantastic job of "gleaning" the fallen fruit in the fall and disposing of so many of the larvae that overwinter too.

Yep... My future plans call for turkey orchard. Only as a last resort I may need to spray a little sulfur, but hoping I don't have to at all.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm no expert by any means but it looks like it may be cause by a fungus.

Have a read through here, it might help.