What's the best way to sell unwanted/unused items?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We have several items that need to be recycled. In your (collectively) experience, what's the best method. I know ppl use Ebay, but not sure how that works. Would Kijiji, or Craigslist, cheapcycle etc be the best way. Just curious what other ppl have used.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I use eBay, and when it is something I don't think I can sell on eBay, I give it away on Freecycle.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Quail, can you give us some EBay pointers? I have tons of stuff I would like to unload, but I really do not know how!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Don't forget putting flyers in any local grocery stores, feed stores, church bb's, etc that will allow them, also do any of your local papers offer free classified ads. Plus, word of mouth (tell everyone you meet).

If you can sell the things by these methods it generally IMO means VASTLY less aggravation than online methods. To me, eBay is the most aggravation-intense method, although if you have a specialty item that could bring a really good price from the *right* audience then it may be worth it.

Good luck have fun,

Pat

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We also use eBay, unless it is an item too large, or to much of a pain, to ship. For those type of items, I have used Craigslist with some success.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
It's true, I don;t know much about selling on Ebay. I have a sofa, in brand new condition, a sofa loveseat combo, a barbecue, woodstove, quad tires, an old piano (that I don't really want to sell, but it needs refinishing and I'll never do it) and its in the garage right now. Plus some other stuff. That wouldn't be stuff you could sell on ebay is it?

Flyers on BBs are a great idea... never thought about that.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
It's true, I don;t know much about selling on Ebay. I have a sofa, in brand new condition, a sofa loveseat combo, a barbecue, woodstove, quad tires, an old piano (that I don't really want to sell, but it needs refinishing and I'll never do it) and its in the garage right now. Plus some other stuff. That wouldn't be stuff you could sell on ebay is it?

Flyers on BBs are a great idea... never thought about that.
Well, you could sell those on eBay, but you would have to put them as local pickup only.
Places like kijji and craigslist might be better for large items like that.

How close are you to me and how much for the woodstove? LOLOL

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Dace said:
Quail, can you give us some EBay pointers? I have tons of stuff I would like to unload, but I really do not know how!
What kind of pointers do you want?

To be honest, I do it as simply as possible. My listings usually only run me 15 cents each and never more than $1. There's a charge for each picture you load after the first one, first pic is free.

I have found that if you start something at 99 cents you get more bidding wars than on something you list higher. People get it at a low bid, get their heart set on it, then get frustrated when they are outbid LOL

I have also found that people like flat shipping or calculated to their zip, so they know exactly how much they will have to pay before they bid.

More info on how to pay or about shipping than about the item is a real turn off to bidders. They want more info on the item, not a 3 paragraph speech on the actions you are going to take if they don't pay.

Oh and, as a buyer, when you item arrives, don't forget to leave feedback! I leave fb as soon as the person pays.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
How close are you to me and how much for the woodstove? LOLOL
Hop on a boat, and go all the way across Lake Erieto the Canadian side--I'm right here--you can't miss me! LOL

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth,
Ebay is a crapshoot anymore. I love ebay, I have bought and sold on it. More buying than selling lol. If you want to reach a larger slice of the market, then do ebay. But I agree with pac......try locally first, it is less of a hassle.