What's the oldest tool you're still using, and why do you like it?

ChickaD

Country Living
Reaction score
Just off the top of my head, I'm using a simple old plane and rasp that used to be my dad's. That makes them working antiques. It's kind of a neat family connection to still have and use them, remembering my dad using them.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I hav a kitchen tool that is antique--and I don't even know what you would call it. It is a inverted cone shape with tiny holes, it is on legs that detach, and a wooden stick. I use it to make applesauce, tomato sauce, etc.

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A hammer that was my grandfathers that is about 50 years old. I love it because it has his name engraved in the wood of the handle. He passed away about 18 years ago and it the only thing I have that was his.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hav a kitchen tool that is antique--and I don't even know what you would call it. It is a inverted cone shape with tiny holes, it is on legs that detach, and a wooden stick. I use it to make applesauce, tomato sauce, etc.
its called a food mill. you put cooked apples or what ever in it and roll the wood stick around and crush the food. I have one too i use it for jelly making but i had to make another wood stick. I also use a pressure canner that is from 1950's an old presto model that my grandmother got for a wedding gift.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wow, I'd have to ask my husband. He's got some of his grandfather's tools as well as some from my grandfather. Just Monday night he used my gf's old drill press from the 60s. It's a beast but it works very well. He's got some old wood planes too that probably date further back than that. I use a kitchen tool of his grandmother's. I have no idea what it's called. It's a wooden cone on a handle and she used it to roll pizzelle cookies into cone shapes. Now that I mention it I have her pizzelle iron too.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I HAVE ONE TOO!! I call it a sieve. I dont know if I like it, I think I like the food mill. You know, the sauce pan with a handle in the middle and holes in the bottom (like the sieve) and the presser (?)that goes around. Really hard to describe. It is a pre electric food mill lol.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The fancy name for your sieve is a chinois (a food mill has a hand crank to force the substance to be strained through the small holes). A chinois is held in a three-legged stand over a bowl or pan and the material is pushed through the small holes via a piece of wedge shaped wood shaped the same as the inside of the chinois.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i dont know if you would call it a tool but my grandmothers canning jars, some of them belonged to my greatgrandmother. I used to have one of her box graters too but it got squished moving.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Do spouses count? :gig

Um, my hands? Honestly, I don't use any tools, really. DH does.

Oh wait, I do use one of those wheel thingy's (no clue what it is called) to make my rows in my garden for spring planting. Just because we don't have a plow or anything to do it for us LOL

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Do spouses count? :gig

Um, my hands? Honestly, I don't use any tools, really. DH does.

Oh wait, I do use one of those wheel thingy's (no clue what it is called) to make my rows in my garden for spring planting. Just because we don't have a plow or anything to do it for us LOL
Yup my husband is definitely my oldest tool...and my favorate
:love