what's your favorite kind of work gloves?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I've always just bought the "three-for-not-very-many-dollars" packs of generic cheapo work gloves. (Cheap striped fabric with cheap leather palms/fingers).

On the one hand I have survived :) on the other hand they don't last very long and aren't very comfortable, especially after the first time they get wet.

So, in the process of destroying yet another pair this afternoon setting some shed poles and fenceposts, it occurred to me maybe there's a better way :p

What do y'all like? Both for comfort and durability. I'm not talking about gardening or winter-weather gloves, I'm talking about what you wear when you have to be draggin' boulders out of the ground or diggin' a bunch of holes or things like that.

Pat

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't found a pair yet that is comfortable and durable. the most comfortable to me are the mechanic type but they are not durable at all. the old gauntlet heavy duty gloves hurt my hands so i just go commando hand and wear none and just deal with the blisters if i get them which is rare. My hands are like leather though. Man Hands ;)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I buy the ladies ones, they actually fit:>) I get them at home depot and wear them all summer long. They are leather fingers and palms with a kind of fishnet fabric on part of the back that isn't leather. Very litle fabric on them, it's there for flexibility I think. They are very durable. Mine are pink:>)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have two--my deer-hides, and my bright neon green/yellow knit ones with th blue rubberized coating on the hands and fingers.--both in my size-not my hubby's. The blue and neon ones are my absolute favourite, but I can't wear thm when it's too hot out or my hands sweat. I tried to look at my pair- and I think thy are made by "Ansell" and they are "something" flex. ( the writing is wearing off) They look like these (but ar not insulated): http://search.live.com/images/resul...develop.com/o/store.oxarc.com/media/91067.jpg

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I wear two pairs. I have my deer skin gloves, that are fairly comfortable, but not if they get wet, so I wear a pair of jersey gloves under them.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love gloves and want good ones. I wear heavy leather work gloves. I don't buy cheap ones ever cause I like gloves that truly fit. I can't have "any" play in my gloves or I can't work in them.

I have pairs everywhere so they are available when needed. couple in the truck, couple at the barn in the feed room, couple at the hay barns, couple at the goat barns, etc. etc.....I am notorious for forgetting gloves when I go from one place to the other to work....so best to have enough :)

I have about 10 pairs good leather gloves with anti-grip palm. But I do have about 3 pairs of girl winter gloves for driving...Isotoners or something like that. not for farming.

Since I work like a dog some days, I truly don't mind spending money on a good glove to help me keep my hands decent. Blisters and such, no way is that happening to me..LOL

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Atlas or Flex Tuff- mostly Atlas- they are the knitted ones with latex palms and fingers. They wear better than leather ones, make less blisters and wash easily. I got mine at a great pice at Gempler's last year. II also discovered the insulated Altas too- sort of thicker and fuzzed up insides- a real treat for the cold and damp here.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
My all time favorite glove is a pair of blue rough leather gloves I picked up at Lowes on sale for 3 bucks two years ago. It was the only pair they had. I saw them laying on the sale table and just grabbed them as I walked by. Did not even try them on. They are a perfect fit and can even be washed. I use those for major work. For work that is not heavy like raking leaves I use the mechanic type gloves. Walmart here carries them for us ladies that have padding on the palm and in the fingers. It almost makes raking leaves and using a shovel fun.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used to wear the womens leather gloves at one of our local hardware stores. They are now out of business......dont know where I will get them now :(

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Mostly I go without or, if I'm doing a repetitive, blister-raising job, will grab a pair of cheap canvas and leather gloves. For winter odd jobbing? I keep a few pairs of those little, cheap gloves that look like children's gloves but stretch to fit anyone. I simply LOVE these gloves for comfort and cheap disposability, not to mention comfort and comformability to one's hands. Sure as shootin' I pay more than $5 for a set of gloves they will disappear! Just like sunglasses...if you pay a lot for them, those are the ones the kids will lose or sit on! :D