Whats your favorite type of hunting?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Grouse and turkey and rabbit/hare. My dh loves all hunting--moose, bear, deer,goose, duck. plus grouse, turkey and rabbit.

Edited to add: I don't think I ever shot anything, I just like going out for walks in the woods with dh, or out on the ATVs. Usually if we see anything, hubby takes the shot.

We hunt for meat only too. Mind you if hubby gets a good rack he will probably want it mounted. and I want a bearskin rug--that I tanned myself.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Deer. I don't hunt for trophy. I hunt for the meat. If we don't eat it we don't hunt it. Would love to hunt Elk one day.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't particularly enjoy or like a certain kind of hunting. My boys bowhunt for deer and would like to bowhunt for other game. They also have turkey hunted. Now, once the boys are grown and gone and I want some deer meat, I'll pick up my shotgun, load a slug and bag me one for the freezer....but I won't get any particular enjoyment out of it....gutting and skinning isn't my most favorite SS skill set! :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I don't particularly enjoy or like a certain kind of hunting. My boys bowhunt for deer and would like to bowhunt for other game. They also have turkey hunted. Now, once the boys are grown and gone and I want some deer meat, I'll pick up my shotgun, load a slug and bag me one for the freezer....but I won't get any particular enjoyment out of it....gutting and skinning isn't my most favorite SS skill set! :p
It's not the actual hunting(as in shooting) that I or my dh enjoys. For grouse hunting--its walking in the fall. Turkey hunting is sitting out in anitcipation of the birds gobbling, and watching spring come to life at the edge of the woods. Hubby saysduck and goose is all about the rush you get when the birds are flying just above you--the sound of their wings. Then the after-fact is having the meat with which to feed your family.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Deer for sure! but I must confess, I like eating it more than the actual hunting of it :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hunt veggies in the garden.:lol:

Tony is a deer hunter first, then wild boar, big sheep, and then dove hunting, and other birds. I think he tried turkey...but they turkey won.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would say that i enjoy coon huntin the most although i hate going to bed late and i hate when the dogs run trash and end up a hundred miles away and you want to kill'em. I like to deer and turkey hunt alot but i have disc issues and its a killer to sit in a stand all day or sit up against a tree waiting for gobblers. My real love is to get in my canoe and go up the local creek running limb lines and trot lines for channel cats. :D love it!! P.S. thanks to nifty for the new topic.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Deer. I hunt for meat but if a nice buck comes along he is fair game. I hunt with a bow during bow season. Have only managed to harvest one so far. Illinois is a shotgun state so I use a shotgun with a rifled barrel during gun season. I would like to start using a muzzle loader but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I get out sometimes for squirrel and rabbits but it is mostly just walking around in the woods, not serious hunting.

I never got into bird hunting. They move too fast.

Have hunted turkey without success.

For me hunting is just as much about being in the woods as it is getting meat. The real work starts when you pull the trigger or release the arrow.