Whats your opinion? School lunch or packed /cloth diaper or disposible

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My daughter is too young to be going to school yet (6 months old!) but when I was a kid, my mom always packed me leftovers from the day before, gussied up with a cookie or some fruit or something, and I loved it. I always thought I was so much cooler than the school lunch kids, especially because we only got 25 minutes for lunch, and sometimes they had to wait 15 minutes in line to get food. So, that's certainly an option. But for 55 cents, nobody could fault you for going with the school meals.

As far as diapers go, I'm a huge fan of the cloth diapering. We started with a diaper service, which we calculated cost us a touch less than disposables, and eliminated our fears of washing poo. It was super easy, and for our baby, with very sensitive pale skin, the only thing preventing her from rashing up. We bought 4 "diaper covers" (I second the vote for "Bummis super whisper wrap" covers that a previous poster mentioned) and the service brought a stack of 80 "prefolds" (what used to just be called Diapers in the old days) every week. Very easy, and felt like a positive environmental step.

We moved recently to a small town with no such amenities, and took the plunge into washing the diapers ourselves. I've been shocked at how simple it is. We bought 3 dozen prefolds for pretty cheap... and here's my routine, if it helps you decide:

We fold a prefold in thirds and toss it into the cover, which fastens onto her with velcro tabs. We re-use the cover until it smells bad or has poo on it, and then it gets tossed in the diaper pail. When we change her, dirties go into the diaper pail (which we've lined with "WAHMies" liners, basically washable trash bags made to fit in a standard diaper pail). If there's poo on them, they get swished around in the toilet, and sprayed down with enzyme cleaner to help break it down.

Once every 2 days, I toss all the dirty prefolds, and the dirty covers, and the dirty "WAHMies" liner into the washing machine with a tiny bit of detergent (straight detergent, no dyes, brighteners, scents, etc.) and let them soak overnight. In the morning, I start the washer, adding an extra rinse at the end to avoid soap residue. Then I toss everything in the dryer (no dryer sheets) until done. And presto! Cloth diapers.

I've given many details there, but really the whole wash process takes about 10 minutes total of work, once every 2 days. And it's so much cheaper and gentler on her bottom. Obviously, no one can judge what's best for you and your family. But in case it was the work that seemed intimidating, this is just to say that it's really not so bad, and it feels excellently wholesome to do it yourself. I use disposables on long road trips away from home, but otherwise, this is just as easy in my mind, and a nice thing to do, IMHO.

scrambledmess

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I would go with the school lunches at that price. I don't think there is anyway to pack and do it cheaper. But if I had a child with food issues, I would still pack.

As far as cloth diapers, I always used cloth for our first 3. I loved it! With the twins, we bought cloth. But a month before they were born, the town switched from chlorine to amonia to treat the water. The diapers never rinsed clean enough and were scalding my babies' bottoms. It looked like burns... awful! So, for the first time we had to switch to disposibles :( We would still be in cloth otherwise, cheaper, easier on environment, and usually more gentle on baby bottoms.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
After reading the book Fast Food Nation, I really have a tough time with school lunches. The school lunch program gets our nation's lowest quality food. But, I don't want my kids to feel too deprived so they get it once per week. I try to encourage them to take the meat-free options, but they still usually choose the processed meat :) The rest of the week I pack for them. I don't know for sure how much it costs, but sometimes it is pretty darn cheap--like right now when they're getting fruits and veggies from the garden. I guess I would say it might depend on how tight you are for money...

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
TX Honky said:
Next I've got a 1 yo and I'm considering getting some cloth diapers. My mom said she didn't recomend it because of the alltime washing ect. But I've seen some cloth diapers out there that are not only better for babby's butt and enviroment but they have all these layers and liners all in one and theres no need for rubber pants. So what do ya'll think?
did mom have to wash by hand?

I used cloth for two of my kids... I started to make them myself as well...
The down side was going OUT anywhere, I used disposables when we went out for long periods of time - just easier, but at home - cloth!

Here are some I made:
largeperiwinkle.jpg

AIOblackplum.jpg

smalllavendersnap.jpg