wheat fre gluten free bread. Any recipes?

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Helly, I am new here to this sight,sawsome people talkin about it on BYC so I came to to see what yall wa doin over here. Pretty good stuff!
Anyway. My wife is gluten intolerant, (cant eat anything with wheat in it) we have all the different flower stuff and so on, but have not figured out how to make her bread. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are some really good books for baking gluten free on Amazon.com
I am in the process of trying gluten free for my son, this is what I have in my shopping cart ready to be ordered.
Gluten free baking classics by Annalise Roberts
or
1,000 gluten free recipes by Carol Fenster

several mention baking breads and such, thought it might help :)
also they have bread machines on the market that have gluten free cycles etc like this one
BREADMAN" ULTIMATE PLUS BREAKMAKER *Bakes 1 to 2 lb loaves *Over 300 program combinations *New Gluten free and low carb programs *New convection feature *Patented fruit, nut and herb "add-in" dispenser *Makes pizza, bagel and pasta dough *Cake, "batter breads" and jam programs *Horizontal baking pan *Removable lid with see through window *Instant recall 60 minute power failure back up *Oven light *24 hour delay bake *Bake only with variable temperature *Silver and black *1 year warranty

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My daughter and I are also gluten intollerant. It is like learning to cook all over again. Learning the differnt flours is the learning curve part. But, we make loads of stuff at our home that tastes good and sometimes better than the glutten counterpart and we are learning to do it less expensively. There is a great website you may want to check out. I will post it as soon as I find it. It is a forum where everyone posts their recipe's and such. I love it. I will get it for you as soon as I can. and Welcome! :welcome

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great, thanks for the info! :D

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi, I have been on a gluten free diet for a while and have experimented with many different recipes.

When making gluten free bread I have found that it works best if you use a variety of flours. This is my favorite at the moment.

Dry ingredients:
1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup garfava flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour (which is a starch)
1/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup corn starch
2 tsp xanthan gum
3 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
2 Tbsp. Millet (optional)
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp. sugar
Wet ingredients:
1 1/3 cups 80 degree water
3 large- extra large eggs
3 Tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp vinegar
2 1/4 tsp yeast.

Mix dry ingredients. Substitutions can be made. For example: 1/2 cup of sorghum or soy instead of garfava or buckwheat. You will find your favorites. The starches can be exchanged also as long as there is a total of 1 cup.

Put wet ingredients in mixer. Add dry ingredients and yeast.
Mix for 5-7 minutes.
I use 2 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 pans.
Use non-stick spray and split batter between pans.
Let rise in oven with light on for 1 hr 20 min. You might need an extra 10 min of rising time if your house is cool.
Set oven to 350 degrees and cook for 20-25 min.

Gluten free bread is notorious for falling and I have never had this recipe fall.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Please check out Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. I heard a lecture she did for a ND school and she rocks! Basically, wheat and other grains containing gluten can often be tolerated by proper preparation....which takes some time and care, but if you are already cooking from scratch, you are 95% there already.

The first order of business is to start healing the digestive tract with lots of good bone broths, made the old way. Then re-introduce grains, prepared traditionally, with care and in small amounts.

I sing Sally Fallon's praises often as I go to make my pizza dough for the upcoming month and noodles and crackers and now I am leaving y'all to go make a pear/raspberry pie, with my lactofermented pie dough. Yum!!!!! :drool (and I won't be locked in the bathroom for hours later, either! :sick ) So get the book, order it through inter-library loan and index the parts on wheat allergies, gluten intolerance, celiac's disease, etc. If you like what you read (I did) then it will be worth buying the book, as it is a very extensive recipe book as well.

Doesn't help you right now, I know, but I feel obliged to spread the word after getting so much help from this book.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, how I wish I could eat nuts, those pancakes sound YUMMY! And a great way to use up eggs.

Gotta go, pie is coming out of the oven for a late-night snack!

StrayDog

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Yum those almond ricotta pancakes sound divine!

Over at GlutenFreeClub you can sign up to the mailing list and get recipes for all kinds of gluten free (and wheat free, obviously) dishes. There are some bread and pizza recipes among them.

I know it's not quite bread, but here's a gluten-free muffin recipe that easy to make, tastes delicious and freezes well. One of the hard parts, I find, about being gluten or wheat free is that you can't just grab something to eat while you are out. These muffins are a great thing to take with you for when you are out and about and need a quick something to eat.

I found lots of great gluten-free recipe books in one of my local libraries. It might be worth having a look at your library.

Here in New Zealand we can't get all the flours that many recipes require, so I'm still working on perfecting my gluten-free recipes. I'll be posting my successes on my blog, but in the meantime, I love corn tortilla chips and my cheesy egg muffins (recipe above).