Wheat grass

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would like to provide wheat grass for my SILKIES ,who will not be free range . They will have 2 runs attached to their coop. I know that there are "kits",which are meant for housebound cats and are expensive. Where can I purchase the wheat grass and possibly grow it in a cat litter pan that I will purchase at one of the "super marts "?Would a "natural store" sell it? Or would I look in a garden place? I want to grow the grass in the above mentioned container. Does anyone have any further insight on what I would like to accomplish? Thank you!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am no expert but..... I sprout the wheat I purchase and the regular store. When sprouting for bread and such I use a 1/2 gallon jar with a screen lid and soak over night. After that you rinse a couple times a day. I think peat moss is the preferred growing medium for wheat grass. Look it up on YouTube its very easy.

Maybe just spread some peat moss in you kitty litter bucket. Top with pre soaked sprouting wheat grains and water. Should do the trick.

I always say I am going to do this but have not tried it yet.

good luck, gina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVVvaHbUmrs I just found this, it's very basic.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You need to keep those sprouts up and out of the water, so if you use something like a plastic dishpan, be sure to drill lots of holes in the bottom for drainage and rinse once or twice a day. You can also use buckets or storage totes. You can often get the shoebox size ones for a dollar on sale.

I sprout barley and oats from the feed store for my goats and poultry in the winter, but have had some difficulty getting it to the green stage without mold. I sprout it just a little to increase the nutrients and protein levels. I built a grow light stand last spring, and I plan to make renewed efforts to get to green grass with that this winter.

It doesn't really matter which grains you use to grow your sprouts, use whatever you can get. Just be sure to get food or feed grade grains, not seed grain, which is treated with fungicides.

Sometimes grains are harvested in damp weather and dried with heat and won't sprout well. Sometimes feed-grade oats are the screenings that are pretty worthless, even as feed, and there is not much in there to sprout. I have the most success with the barley I can get. You can also try wheat berries that you get at the health food store, or you could try the little packages from Bob's Red Mill. I can find those in the organic section of one of the grocery store chains here.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I just had a thought that is worth trying. I make a stinky cheese that needs to age for two months and drips whey the whole time, so it needs to be kept up and out of the puddle of whey. The method I use would probably work well for sprouting and I think I will try it this winter.

I use a plastic needlepoint canvas from WalMart or JoAnn's, the kind that is about fifty cents for an 8.5" x 11" piece, and set that on top of a piece of that "ice cube tray" stuff that is put over those 4' flourescent light fixtures. I got a piece at Home Depot for about $12 and I just use tin snips or wire cutters to snip off a piece that fits into the container I am using. A sheet goes a long way! I just run them through the dishwasher between uses.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I sprout oats for my hens in the winter months.

I use a 1/2 gallon mason jar fitted with a screen lid and ring.

* I add a couple table spoons of whole oats (I just buy regular whole feed oats at the feed store, but I bet you could do this with wheat as well) to the jar and put on screen lid.
* Add warm water to the jar and allow it to soak for about an hour.
* I then drain my oats well and rinse and drain them a couple of extra times.
* Place the jar on its side in a darkened (but handy) spot. (I keep mine on the back of my kitchen counter near the sink.)
* Gently rinse and drain the seeds for several days (Don't forget this!) (I rinse mine while fixing breakfast in the AM and watering dogs in the PM. Just get into a routine.)
* When they sprout I start a second jar and move the first jar to my sunny kitchen window for a day. (At this point I start feeding my hens some each day. I only winter 3 - 4 hens so they don't eat much)
* If you want to allow the greens to grow larger (and more green) move the seed mat (all of the roots will tangle together) out of the jar and into a plastic tub. Keep it in the sun and continue to rinse and drain twice daily till they are all fed.

I also feed my hens good leafy hay. Alfalfa is best if you can get it. I just keep a flake in their pen all winter. They love to dig in it and eat lots as well.