When can I bring duckings & chicks outside to play?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
It is a lovely sunny 70+ degree day here and I would love to take my week old babies out for a little sunshine and fresh air.
I asked on BYC but am not sure I am getting the right answer :barnie perhaps some are not thoroughly reading my question, so I thought I would ask you all.

So....sun, grass warm temps 15 minutes of supervises play time...is that ok or no?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I would.

So long as you keep an eye on them, they will tell you when/if they get cold or tired.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just a thought to consider, not to cause panic:

Temp-wise, ok, but also consider that they will be exposed, at a very tender age, to wild bird poo and germs. Personally, I'd wait a week or two. Natural selection would ultimately create the sturdiness needed for your property if you had hen-raised chicks.

I did bring cut grass in to my chicks in the brooder at about two weeks, knowing I was risking exposure to disease, but I was willing to take the chance. None died. I'd probably wait one more week, then take them out. Just my personal cautiousness.

If you use any chemicals on your lawn, wait for a good, thorough soaking, too, to wash the worst of the nasties off.

They are just TOO cute and so much fun at this age, aren't they? :love

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My babies are ten days old and I was thinking the same thing but discarded the idea for the same reasons Freemotion stated. It would probably be okay but why take the chance?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Very good points to consider! I am glad I asked :)

I will wait, no harm in waiting a bit longer.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I don't think I can offer an opinion on this until i see a picture of the babies.

(Ok, I agree with freemotion, but I still want to see pictures of the babies!!!)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Free ranged mine with the rest of the flock at 3 wks but would have done sooner if temps had been as warm as yours. I'm all for exposing them as soon as possible to whatever your poultry living conditions may be. Sort of follow the Parson's Wife methods of poultry raising.... ;)

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Everybody has different methods. I took mine out for short exposure to outdoors at one week. By the middle of the third week while having warm weather I just left them outside. They did well health wise.

Latest posts