When did you start homeschooling?

GoddessDanu

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My husband and I would really like to try our hand at home schooling one day when we become parents (we're looking into adopting a sibling group) but we just didn't know if we should at least let them have a year of an actual school experience or just go straight for the home schooling. At what age/grade did you being home schooling your child/children and why? Thanks!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I did not homeschool. But my daughter homeschools her kids. The grands are now 11, 7 1/2, and 1 year.

All started American Sign Language after birth. DD uses ASL as a second language, none of them have hearing problems. I thought They were able to communicate simple signs at about 6 months of age. There is nothing more wonderful than to have a very young non-talking chid sign "eat" when hungry. Especially when grandma is babysitting for an evening. (Sure beats a crying baby to my mind. :) )

Our son-in-law is a x-country trucker. After the oldest was born, the three of them (sil, dd, & dgd) lived in the truck, so they would not have to be separated all the time.

Over the years dd added to the studies. They belong to a home schooling group that meets once a month for field trip studies. The rest of the time they do individual studies.

There are a number of websites with really good study suggestions, some that you can purchase, if you want.

Two of the grands are having health issues, so it is great that they aren't "missing" school for doctor appointments.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been thinking about homeschooling. Here in Colorado, it's kind of a free market state when it comes to schooling. If you want your children to go to a private school, go for it. If you want to drive an hour to a better school in another district, do it. We have public schools, private schools, charter schools and many homeschoolers. I'm thinking of going through a charter school that is based on the internet. It will be free as it is a charter school and it acts similar to a homeschooling program with more individual types of teaching programs. They also do field trips and meetings. The school is called Colorado Virtual Academy. If we lived closer to my father, we'd probably end up sending our kid to his charter school. The school itself is K-12 and he is the principal of the elementary school.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't homeschool (Yet, though we're thinking about it seriously) My best friend homeschooled her 2 after having issues in the kindergarden classroom with her oldest. The youngest wasn't in school at the time. They are 10 & almost 9 and they are brilliant, they are reading at a college level, their math scores are in upper level high school, off the charts on almost everything. They were enrolled in public school this year and she sees it as a waste of the year. The 8yo should have been in 5th grade and the 10yo should have been in 7th to even get a bit of challenge. 8yo never cracked a book the whole year and made 100s in every subject. The oldest can count the number of problems on a test then figure how many he has to get right to get a passing grade, then he only answers that many questions :gig Tricky kids!

If we had been able to, we would have started ours out homeschooled, never to enroll them in public education. We did do pre-schooling and had youngest learning multiplication, division and language long before she started learning them in the classroom.

Let me just say that IMHO, Homeschooling is the best option for the kids, if it is available to you. You get to tailor the child's education to their interests & learning style, which doesn't often happen in public school.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
My older son is home this year instead of in JK (the only one I know his age who isn't in school, so, I suppose in a sense that counts as homeschooling? :p)

Because DH is somewhat opposed to homeschooling due to being unwilling to find out what it actually involves or how it generally works out, sigh, we have agreed that he will go to Sr K in the fall, and probably 1st grade, and then we'll see how things stand and decide from there what to do.

It's not necessarily what I'd do if it were just up to me (although, I dunno, I might), but I think it's reasonable. Gives our son and the school system a chance to see how they get along with each other ;> and then we all -- Harry included -- can make a choice of what to do based on actually KNOWING how both options go.

I have to say, I have no real concerns about the *education* end of things (I truly, truly do not think it takes 6 hrs a day 5 days a week to learn the things kids need to know to be functional adults or to enter college); I do want to make sure he is well socialized and has friends, esp. since we live in the boonies with no neighbors with children. I am positive that could be arranged if homeschooling, but, obviously he *is* exposed to more kids by being in school. (Although that is not without its downsides of course).

So, we will see what happens.

He currently reads pretty fluently and does 1st grade type math... I mainly hope he is not disruptively bored when school starts. I think the novelty of it will entertain him for at least a while, tho.

Pat

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My kids went to preschool for 2 years. I then kept them home for K. We have been homeschooling for 6 years now. I know lots of families where the kids go in and out of the school system over the years. Really, with good parenting, kids are resilient. There are pros and cons either way.

My only thought is that since you are adopting, it might be nice to take that first year and have them home with you. That will give you a chance to really get to know each other and to bond well. I suspect they have been dealing with some emotional and/or trust issues of their own and could do well to be in a nurturing environment for awhile. Just a thought.

Right now, homeschool works for us. But I know there may come a time when it is better to put them in school. And then there may be a time to bring them back home.

It's all good.

Inchy, feeling upbeat today

Latest posts