When do you know it's time to jump ship?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Job or whatever situation. Does it bring me more joy than not? Do I have responsibilities depending on the situation? Is it causing mental/emotional/physical detriments? What are the tradeoffs? Is it me or the situation? And most importantly.....

WHAT AM I AFRAID OF?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You might be happier doing something else.

Even if it means less pay. And more work LOL

Look at your own desires and goals. Find a way.

I'm working to fully retire & be a full time "farmer". I've toyed with this for a couple of years. Hard look at needs, feelings, finances and my happiness. My DGD has settled for college with scholarship now, my tractor will be paid off pretty soon--2 things I needed to resolve for my feelings of financial "what if". I'm downsizing anything I need and upsizing as I need, this year. It's both hard & liberating but, I know it is right and will work. Good feeling.

You have posted moving considerations -- which ultimately defines your work considerations. You have been wanting a change for a while. Review your own needs, feelings, finance and happiness. It will come to you....a plan, a way, a new goal.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Strange how life works... My second oldest son does the same work as I do, but for a different company. Over the years, I helped guide him into the position with some tender loving care and sometimes hard knocks coaching. He was just promoted to manager. Which I'm really happy and proud of him for. Management is not my gig, but he enjoys it 😁.

He called me up today, to tell me about his reporting chain, promotion, budget, reports etc... and then he asked me, if I would come work for him? Imagine the old man working for his son. I have a really big decision to make now, don't I? Life is so strange sometimes... Me calling my son Boss, I'm liking that a lot.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have been given warning. Now you know to make preparations and you will be ahead of the game. Better than getting clobbered from behind, at least you see this coming.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Who knows, you may find a position elsewhere that gives you a whole new lease on life. When God closes a window, he opens a door.... or something like that. You have work ethic, and initiative. 2 traits that are often not present in the younger generation.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well there's nothing quite like presenting your own deck to the General Manager that you wrote for your boss to present but he's away on vacation.

Lesson learned... I make my bosses job easy, maybe a little too easy!

I'm done for the day, I need a nap or a beer or three. I can't decide which I need most. It's been a hell of a day! I hope my boss is enjoying his elk hunt.

Last edited:

Latest posts