1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Plastic up the porch - Discussion Thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

When to plant veggies

Discussion in 'Gardening On Your Homestead' started by CrealCritter, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Nov 6, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Every since I can remember I've followed the old farmers almanac gardening guides for sowing and transplanting. I've had varying suscess with spring / fall veggies by following their guides. I now live in zone 6B which is kind of a weird zone since it's in-between zone 6 and 7 but in all reality it think I live in more like zone 7. Anyways I'm going to try this schedule for the next few years and see what happens. Comparing the two guides I noticed there is a good two to three weeks difference in seed starting.

Here is the USDA hardiness zone map
    usda_plant_hardiness_zones_map-smaller.png

Looks like i'll be busy come February instead of March now.
    I'm
    https://www.ufseeds.com/learning/planting-schedules/illinois-vegetable-planting-calendar/
    Planting-Zone-7.jpg
    The old farmers almanac summer veggies seem to be pretty much spot on though.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  2. Nov 6, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

Hey -- did you have ANYTHING else to do in Feb?? :D

I say go for it! Have read articles that say plant the seed into pots in Fall, put outside, they will sprout in Spring "when it's time" . Sorta like self seeding.

I'm looking at starting my own and having an actual garden (!!) this year. Can't believe I have 4.5 months to go to plant outside! :barnie I'm not wanting to wait that long.

3. Nov 6, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

I would really like to get my spring/fall garden completely sowed and transplants set by the end of February this coming year. Just need a dry spell in between now and the beginning of February where I can get my tiller in there to break up the soil.

This year I waited completely to long to sow spring veggie seeds. Our spring lasted a whole 10 days, it was so wet and cold before that. By the time I could work the soil, got my seeds sowed and sprouted most everything bolted in the heat that followed. So I just left it go to weeds and spent my time in my summer garden which did ok this year. I still have a row of kale that I planted this spring and that we have eaten a little off of but everything else bolted or burnt up this summer.

4. Nov 6, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

The weather has been crazy this year. Long winter, short spring, hot summer :idunno I'm not going to bother with winter crops this year. I have way too much else to do and the daylight is little over winter here.

5. Nov 6, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

Yeah weather was crazy everywhere, it seems. Like all "farmers" there is always NEXT year, always hopeful it will be better.

I would absolutely LOVE to have a nice productive garden this coming year. Compared to 2018 it won't take much! One tomato plant will be better!! Yep, dismal between weather & time from work, even.

So, I've bought up some nice starting pots -- on sale, almost free -- added to the others, to try again. Mixing nice soil, some chicken & goat manure, wasted hay, etc. for starting medium. I don't often quit...:old Plan to reduce work hours a good amount for the summer.

My last frost is first wk April, so with care...maybe some row covers, I can get cool weather stuff going outside in early/mid March. Peas & such can go in ground late Feb.