When to seperate kid form doe at night

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I am curious at what age I should separate my doe and kid at night? Kid is almost 3 weeks old now, and I have been milk sharing.
Was getting over a quart in the mornings, but the kids appetite has jumped and now I am getting about 2 cups.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I think it is 6 weeks, but be prepared for them to scream as if they are being eaten a tiny bite at a time by razor blade fanged demon dogs. SO annoying :barnie

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I think it is 6 weeks, but be prepared for them to scream as if they are being eaten a tiny bite at a time by razor blade fanged demon dogs. SO annoying :barnie
Oh, that already happens when I take any of the goats out of the pen for any reason.
Two of the does are half Nubian :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I think my nubian doeling is half choking banshee. She gets on my nerves with that horrifying screeching voice she has. Kinda raspy yet shrill...and talk about lungs...the force behind that voice is unreal. On the other hand...I always know when the momma nag has jumped the fence :hu

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
:D One of mine has dreams of making it big at Carnegie Hall as an Opera singer....She seriously sings in a very annoying way.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Two weeks is the minimum, I do three weeks (assuming the kid goes back with the doe during the day.) The key is that they are eating hay and drinking water and can help themselves while waiting for mom. The tough part with a single kid is.....she will be alone and will need some added warmth like a heat lamp or a sweater. I used a Buff Orpington hen, a coat, and a heat lamp with Plum until Peach could go in with her at night.