Where are all the lids???

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What's your opinion on Gold Harvest? I'll not buy WM jars, cause I've had some break. But, I am just fine using WM lids multiple times.
but haven't actually seen them in stores in years.

I haven't had any problems with the GH jars.

Except for some 1/2 gal Ball, I haven't bought many new jars in a long time. I use the large ones for milking into. Have a few brand new Ball I've picked up at yard sales, etc....you know how intentions go. Not used.

Years back I canned a LOT. Then, kids gone, not so much -- occasional and a lot of jellies, pickles, etc. Now, I find a desire to do more of it and have acquired more jars from 2nd hand sources, dug out my packed ups and have a couple hundred. I'm sure I'll buy more when found at the right price. For just me to use the food, that's pretty much enough -- esp with a freezer. When your garden is doing well, & jars are already bought, then it's economical for a good food supply. I buy Ball lids generally, habit and confidence. In past 2 years I have begun canning meats, which I never had before. It has gone well. Just a self-reliant consideration for me, as there is a lot of work involved. However, I'm at an age when I truly want to retire and cut expenses to be able to feel comfortable with not working. More time than money -- ya know?

Tattler -- they are available here at Ace Hdwe and I looked at them superficially last week. (They also had WM Ball lid & lid/rings, no reg., in stock.) Appears you buy the "lid" and a rubber ring -- all reuseable several times -- right? Yes, what I read was to tighten the rings when coming from canner -- totally opposite of what they say with the Ball type. I can see where it would be money saving in the long run, stored well, re-use as you do jars.

As to turning jars upside down -- this was recommended in an OLD All American Canner owner manual for those glass jars using the 2 piece rubber ring/lid "to test" the seal. Of course, this book was very strong on using tin cans for canning. When I say OLD, the book price says $.35....and a canning basket was $1.50. The control valve was 1.00 and it cost me $34. for the vent pipe & jiggler pressure regulator to replace it. :lol: Haven't installed yet - still using original valve.

This is what was once called a No 7.... now has a number nine something. It had NEVER been used. Pan sets were still wrapped in orig paper & I bought from a guy on CL, who inherited a shed of "stuff". A 1 hr drive & $25. got me a jewel!! It sells for approx $250 now, all come with jiggler 😁 .... I'm good with this buy!! I believe they may do a more refined polish on inside now, don't know. But outside is shiny and bright. I thought of buying the 2 tier but, when this came up, I was all over it.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Was in Wal-mart and they had wide mouth lids. 3.95 a doz I think.... if anyone is in need, let me know and i will get some and ship them to you for just what it costs me. Going to get some to have in case, but I am going to try to do more with the tattler lids next year. Don't know what I will be able to do with the knees, but know that I need to have to start building up my stock again. Tried to let it get down some with the moving.... the freezers are full.... but the canned goods are down.... luckily.... as carrying boxes is tough right now.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I found enough here and there to get me through next year. I'll stay on the hunt to stock up for 2-3 years. I won't let this happen again!

I have a case of Tattler, each of regular and wide mouth lids. They are my SHTF reserve. LOL LOL

sharron

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i'm good both on lids and new jars, not to mention what i will empty this year til the garden comes on again, had forgotten i had bought a bunch of one piece lids (like you buy can goods in the stores) supposedly can use them a bunch of time, haven't tried them yet
by the way, good morning everyone

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm good on lids and jars. Have bought jars off and on over the years, and bought ?40 boxes of lids when reports of covid first started. Had some stored before even that. Will continue to stock ahead, in the years to come. I also re-use metal lids if they are in good shape. Many have been used 4x, and still seal just like new.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I also reuse. I find that if you put "good" lids in a pan with boiling water, they will "plump up" the rubber part.....yes, some won't work.... you put them in the fridge and eat them next meal.....
Just thought I would help if I could. Glad that people are finding some and hopefully have enough for this year....

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I picked up another dozen quart jars the other days - with rings and lids. I've got a lot of lids but of course trying to conserve. I recently ran an experimental batch of lemon juice using lids that have previously been used. They way I look at it - If they seal - they seal. No fails as of yet.