Where can I buy bulk raw peanuts for a reasonable price?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can buy peanuts for boiling at home and canning at a reasonable price? All the online sources I've found charge a crazy price for shipping, so it comes out to more than $50 for 25#, if I can even find them.

Boiled peanuts just do not exist here in New England, but I got addicted when traveling. LOVE 'em! :drool Once a year or every other year is just not often enough!

Help?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Anyone know where I can buy peanuts for boiling at home and canning at a reasonable price? All the online sources I've found charge a crazy price for shipping, so it comes out to more than $50 for 25#, if I can even find them.

Boiled peanuts just do not exist here in New England, but I got addicted when traveling. LOVE 'em! :drool Once a year or every other year is just not often enough!

Help?
As another New Englander I have to ask if peanuts for boiling are in the shell or shelled?
I can buy raw peanuts at the Willimantic Food Co-op here in CT, but they are shelled.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The ones I buy from the roadside stands in the south are in-shell. How much are the ones in Willimantic? I think it is worth experimenting, if I can't get any in-shell ones. Which store is it? Do I have to join? I think I might know someone who occasionally drives up here from down that way..... Hmmm....my mouth is watering now! :drool

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Boil them in the shell....for a very very very long time.
Some people here use crockpots and just let them stew and stew and stew.

Tony loves them!
I don't.
Nicole loves them!
I don't.

Any time on the road traveling and Tony sees a boiled peanut sign we must stop..LOL

Tons of peanuts here in the south....I grew some..they are fun to grow.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
The ones I buy from the roadside stands in the south are in-shell. How much are the ones in Willimantic? I think it is worth experimenting, if I can't get any in-shell ones. Which store is it? Do I have to join? I think I might know someone who occasionally drives up here from down that way..... Hmmm....my mouth is watering now! :drool
Here is their website. You do not have to join at all. Non-members just have to pay a percentage above shelf price. The next time I am there, which will be this week, I will check for you.
http://www.willimanticfood.coop/

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Hey Free, I was there today and they did NOT have any raw peanuts. They had raw cashews but no peanuts. That doesn't mean they couldn't order them for you necessarily. Sorry! I thought for sure they did.:(

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, well, I also found out that I was mixed up about the person I thought was in Willimantic, wasn't. Thanks for the effort, anyways!

herbsherbsflowers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi,

My husband recently decided he wanted to make his own roasted, flavored peanuts and so we first bought the regular raw peanuts at the grocery store that had skins on them. Taking the skins off was a real pain. He found skinned, raw peanuts from this company and ordered them. They are much larger than the ones from the grocery store and have been very good.

http://www.vapeanuts.com/