Where do you buy GOOD clothespins?

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Made the desperation move of shopping at Wallyworld. What is a good source for a good spring type clothespin? Cant even make a decent pea shooter out of what I bought. Dumb I know, but going to work nekkid was not an option.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I've been fortunate enough to have found some good sturdy ones at Goodwill and a garage sale. But the ones they sell in drugstores and such nowadays are wimpy, compared to the old ones. There is definitely a big difference between older clothespins and the new ones, with the older ones being bigger, less rough and sturdier all around.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
wooddustmaker said:
Made the desperation move of shopping at Wallyworld. What is a good source for a good spring type clothespin? Cant even make a decent pea shooter out of what I bought. Dumb I know, but going to work nekkid was not an option.
There is website/catalog/few stores firm called Lee Valley that recently announced that they had found a source for the good old spring type clothespin. I have bought thousands of dollars of tools/gagets from them so ordered the clothespins from them. They were indeed the same kind of clothespin that my mother used to use!
I love Lee Valley They have great old time stuff and the latest high tech stuff in the areas they work in which are 3 main and one minor
Woodworking Tools, Home & Garden, Hardware and Gifts(minor). They publish seperate catalogs for the 3 main and their gift catalog comes out for Chistmas. They have pricy stuff (you can spend a bundle on their stainless steel garden tools but they should last a lifetime) and cheap stuff (they buy up old lines of tools and sell them at about half price) lots of their stuff comes from China, but not all.
A couple of years ago I bought a bunch of hand forged carbon steel kichen knives made pre-WWII, Everyone wants stainless blades now. They aren't pretty but they are the finest cuting knives I have ever owned and I got a whole set for the current price of one fair to good chef's knife (don't bother looking they are all sold now)
They are located on Canada border so their prices are in either currency and you don't have the hassle of cross border shipping. In fact they usually have two short periods each year where shipping is free. Customer Service is great and if they don't know the answer to a
question they will get it and call you back.~gd

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
When looking for clothes[ins, look for one made from hard wood. Also, look to make dure the metal part is thick, and not flimsy. I can't help you on where to buy them, since I am in Canada, I get mine either at Canadian Tire, or HOme Hardware. But look cosely as tehy sell cheap ones also.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a local Lee Valley location, so I'm super spoiled and have never used their mail order service--but their staff are truly wonderful. I have their clothes pins and they are nice and robust, like what they made when I was a kid vs. the cheapie dollar store stuff everyone sells now.

http://www.leevalley.com/

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I have got to get some of those! I've almost put an eye out with cheap ones that spring apart on me. I love that the Lee Valley ones show up in their garden department! Not sure why, it just catches me as funny!