Where to buy leghold traps (advice on weasels?)

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've got a weasel around my chicken houses and I don't think I can get it w/ the live trap (so far just a bunch of 'coons and opossums). From what I understand, not many options besides a leghold trap in a weasel jug. Do you have any online sites you trust for quality and price? Also, I welcome any pointers you may have in catching a weasel. Thanks!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Maybe I'm not smart, but why couldn't you get it with a have-a-heart trap? They make them in all different sizes (at least 3 that I know of) and I would think you would just need to find the right bait. :hu

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have had luck with Victor RAT TRAPS the big 3x6 ones for RATS not 1 1/2 x 3" mouse traps. I like to mount them to beams vertically with the bait pan/trigger down but about 14 inches from the ground. A tough bloody bait seems to work best chicken gizzard or hearts work well. Usually the little bugger will put his front paws on the beam and strech his neck for the bait, When he trips the trap that heavy wire breaks neck cleanly and fast. The trouble with leg hold traps is all you find in the paw and maybe part of a leg that he chewed off. No one I have ever talked to had ever trapped one in a Hav-a- heart box trap. I have seen video of a near miss, the varmint scated out before the door(s) had shut and latched. The reason I like the rat trap is that you can find them locally, cheap and most suppliers want to sell a group of six leg holds, wait for shipping and then you need to boil the traps to get the stinky oil off.
~gd

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a friend of mine was telling me about a way to trap weasles. take a peice of pvc pipe (he sugested 2 inch) and cut a piece @ 18-24 inch long. get a cap for the end. put the cap piece down and bury it about 1/2 in the ground. he puts a little cat food in it for bait. the weasle goes down to eat and the pipe should be small enuff he cant turn around and long enuff he cant strech his body to get his toes on the top of the pipe. then when he is cought you just shoot down the pipe with a 22 and then remove. i havent had to try this yet, but...

Cotopaxi

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, there is one site that I know of...
It is a trusted site that services anyone in the continental United States and to boot, the shipping is free
the site is called Do My Own Pest Control, look for their animal control page
Good luck mate and happy hunting!