Where to move?

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello all,
In my introduction I wrote that we would be moving to TN. Well, that plan has changed unexpectedly. We now need to find a home in upstate South Carolina, and we only have 14 weeks to do so! :th We know very little about the area except what I have been able to obtain from researching online. We have been looking in Greenville, Union, and Lancaster counties. I have done some house hunting online, and the northeastern corridor seems like the best fit for us.
Does anyone know anything about these areas (or upstate SC in general) from personal experience? We are hoping to find a rural property with a modest home to start a hobby farm - so a mixture of pasture and wooded land is what we are looking for. I tried to find information about property taxes and restricted versus non-restricted zoning in those areas (for animals and such), but didn't find much helpful information.
I did a google search for a map of the water resources in SC (lakes, rivers, creeks, etc), as we would like to have a water source on or near our property. Based on that information, it seems like we are looking in the right area. As of right now, the search area is very large. We thought that would make it easier to find what we were looking for. However, it has posed a challenge for finding a buyers agent.
If someone could perhaps recommend some sites that I am missing for additional research, that would be very much appreciated! Thanks as always! :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, you don't have an awful lot of time to search and research do you? Unfortunately the only friend I have in that part of the States is in North Carolina, so she can't help you much, but why don't you pop over to the State thread on BYC here and ask the locals: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/127943/south-carolina/0_30 It's a fairly active thread and chances are you'll find someone from the area you're looking at. Best of luck and keep us posted!

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you so very much @sumi! I appreciate it. Will definitely be keeping everyone up to date :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Please do! I popped in on the thread over there and I see you got some responses already :) Give them a day or three, you should get more. Everyone's drifting in and out at the moment, getting the flocks ready for winter etc.

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Updating as I promised! After a crazy couple of months stressing over where to move, and jobs, the holidays, you name it!, we have been blessed with some relief. After some much warranted arguments, our situation is much more flexible, so we decided to forgo the sudden pickup-and-move that we were facing a couple of weeks ago. However, we are now faced with the task of finding another place to rent for the upcoming year. That is leaps and bounds easier then having to move 9+ hours away unannounced, and we are so thankful!
I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season. Happy New Years to all! :D

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good luck! Glad to hear you don't have to rush so much. It's very stressful having to move without having to so it in a hurry!