Where to start?!

tressa27884

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We close on our house 11/30 in Cooper. The property is 19.5 acres, some pasture (all ready in hay) and some wooded. No outbuildings to speak of. Where would you start? I'm thinking perimeter fencing and pens first since we'll be moving end of the year.
I'll start planning/planting a garden in the spring

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi and congrats on your new property! Well first question is what are you looking to do with your property? What kind of animals are you planning on getting (or have already)?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
BYH has a fence forum that is full of useful information. You are so lucky to already have pasture!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Where to put all the critters is the critical issue. Fences and shelters. Much can be done with reclaimed wood, pallets and hoop houses made from cattle panels.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do a lot of scrounging on the cull rack at Lowes. Lumber doesn't have to be perfect for an animal shed.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Congrats on the new property! What animals are you thinking of keeping? I'd start with fencing and housing for them and get them in the warmer months. As the above posters said, reclaimed materials, pallets etc make good building materials. Shop around!

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new property! As everyone else said - depends on the animals you already have / or are thinking of keeping. That will make a big difference in the type of fencing you need. Do it right the first time and spend the money if you can afford to. It will save you some headaches! There are many possibilities for shelters - again, depending on the type of animals. :)

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Find out if there are any small sawmills. We have friends with sawmills and they would give us their culls for free.