Where to start

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay, you've made the decision to homeschool. Now what? How do you find a curriculum, what age do you get your children involved in outside activities (other than church), what do you do about pressure from outside folks to put your child in a "real" school. Where do you start and how do you keep from feeling so overwhelmed?

detali

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I homeschooled our youngest for several years, from fifth to eleventh grade. By then he was smarter than me. For first timers it feels safer to buy a curriculum program for your child. Later you might want to free-lance it. We did.

There are curriculums out there. A Becca is a good one. We went with a more self determined program from ClonLara. We also bought other learning materials as our son's interests grew, one being small engine repair. He ended up building a go cart as part of that "class" from parts and pieces and an old lawn mower. Then he got interested in computers. From parts and pieces and "how to" manuels he build himself a computer.

Now he is well paid, working for a big computer corporation. What he learned most of all through home schooling is how to learn and where to look for information.

Depending on where you live, there are home schooling clubs/co-ops where home schoolers and their parents can get together and share.

So just go for it. The process itself will teach you.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I recommend researching the homeschool laws in your state. They vary by state, so I can't tell you what to do there. In CA, you register your family as a private school. Also here there are many opportunities for independent study charter schools (what we do) and virtual schools such as K12.com are available in almost every state.

Check out a bunch of homeschooling books at the library and figure out what style best suits you at this point. I like to pick and choose the philosophies and tips I like best from many different styles. One of the greatest benefits of being a homeschooling parent is that you can change your mind about what you like and evolve your style to best fit your family's needs. If you get a math program that you think you will like, but end up hating it, you can sell it/donate it and choose something else!

I agree with finding a homeschool support group in your area. Often parents and kids meet for park/play days and the parents are great sources of info.

Take some time to get used to your new job and don't think you have to do everything at once. As for other people, "We are doing what is best for our family" is a line I enjoy.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
pulled my son from public school when in the 9th grade and home scholled him through 12th. The first year I bought a curriculum from a place that was high ranked in the process, they sent all the books, dozens of DVDs and had online tutoring and testing to keep track of his progress and paperwork for the state and the local public school if they ever came knocking.

It was a simple form to fill out for the state to say you were doing it and though they never came by the local school has the right to stop in and request all progress materials and curriculum. Public schools get their funding by how many students they have enrolled and want your kids. They may seem altruistic and say it is for the best of the child but it is really a money issue for them.

I don't remember where I got the course material right now but only did it for the first year to get started, it cost about $800 for the 9th grade stuff. The next three years I just did on my own buying cheap material from the store and websites like http://www.bigdaddysoftware.com/math.html

He later joined the National Guard and got his GED and went on to advanced network computing school, he will be getting out soon and they will pay his rent and tuition while going to a regular college.

I worked full time nights so didn't spend too much time with him except for the harder science and computer stuff where we did chemistry experiments in the kitchen and built from scratch computers. I also bought him a laptop just for the schooling material and in case he ever wanted to visit his mother he could take it with him to keep up on the studying.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Where do you go to find state laws on home schooling?