Where would you go????

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If life in your country got bad enough to prompt you to move to another, where in the world would you go and why???

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'd get in my boat, load it with as many seeds, food, animals etc that I can...and find a small island somewhere in the ocean that isn't populated, and under any jurisdiction. Anybody know the whereabouts of such an island? Maybe we could all meet there

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:caf

Watching this also.

The island thing sounds like a good idea. But arent most islands belonging to some country or another. And if they are not, I would think that there is not fresh water on them. Or they are not tall enough to withstand winter storms, large waves, ect.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't given it tons of thought, but from what I've seen of the countryside, New Zealand would be high on my list.

You are talking about leaving mostly for political reasons? If it got that bad, I have no idea how NZ would be affected, if at all.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Of course in reality the limiting factor would be, what country would let you IN. It's not like you can just move anywhere you want. Pretty much everywhere has immigration restrictions, mostly much more stringent than the US or Canada (and neither of THEM are all that easy to get into either, unless by marriage and even then it can be long, drawn-out and expensive, if you are from a distant or third world type country)

Well, I mean, you can *travel* most anywhere as long as you can look convincingly touristy but after a few months or half a year you become illegal and life gets complicated.

In a more imaginary vein... where I'd want to go would depend almost entirely on the exact circumstances of what made me WANT to go.

Actually the only reason I could see for leaving Canada would be the climate; and if I still lived in the US (remember, I've only been up here for 9 years, I'm an American transplant) I can't really think of anything that'd make me feel compelled to try to leave the country... although moving to a different *part* of the country, yes.

Pat

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
I haven't given it tons of thought, but from what I've seen of the countryside, New Zealand would be high on my list.

You are talking about leaving mostly for political reasons? If it got that bad, I have no idea how NZ would be affected, if at all.
I've thought of NZ myself.

I remember reading a book years ago about some people that bought an island between Canada and the US. Canada thought it belong to the US, the US thought it belonged to Canada. So, it was their own country. I'd love that myself.

I actually remembered the name of the book! Meanwhile Back at the Castle! http://www.amazon.com/Meanwhile-Back-Castle-Hope-Campbell/dp/0448054477

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's cool. :)

I actually love the idea of an island. That was my fantasy growing up. But that's just it, barring some outstanding circumstance, it's just too fantastic to consider. :)

I wonder how hard it is to get into NZ?

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I doubt I would be able to get out of the country. Its expensive to do. And I dont even have a passport. I rarely leave my state boundry. LOL. Ive only been to 5 states in my life.

So most likely if there was an event that made most people move to a different country. If I couldnt do it, I would go as deep into the wilderness that I could.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, with a sailboat you can just live on the ocean and visit any country you want to until you find one you like that'll have you:) And you can keep looking for that island too:) I know tons of people who sail all winter and return to Canada for the summers. Myself, I find sailing very scary, especially on big water. I sailed for a few years and it is not as peacefull as it seems when the breeze turns into a wind:)

Latest posts