Wheres the beef???

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wheres the Beef?????????

Corned Beef that is. :p After the wonderful encouragement and competition we had over turkeys last year I started thing about Corned Beef. Does anyone else stock up on these???

It's almost St. Patty's day. My goal this year was to find 12 corned beef's. :p On sale!!! One per month for the year. :drool So far I seen them at 1.29 an 99cents per pound. I think I will go get a couple of the 99Cent ones this afternoon.

Anyone else find any good deals?

g

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never bought a corned beef. But I do like hash :p

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow I have never seen it at 99cents a pound here. It is usually around $1.30-2.99 a pound.. Last time it was on sale, I bought 2.. All I could afford at the time. Ate one last month.. Forgot that St. Pattys day is this month. Wonder if DH would mind eatting it again this month. He likes it. But dont like to eat it every month..

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have never had corned beef. What cut of beef is it? and what makes it "corned"?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I actually bought one last month that was on sale. Not 99cents but marked down. My 5yo asked me to make corned beef and cabbage so that's whats for dinner tonight. I just happened to see them on sale in this weeks newspaper add. I think the 99 cent ones are the tip cut.

So I figure I should start stocking up.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yes, I have done this. I don't get one for every month like I do with the turkey, but I like having a few in the freezer. The new sale ads come out tomorrow so I have to see who REALLY wants my business.

Keep in mind that some use cabbage as a loss leader. Even if you don't eat corned beef, snag as much cheap cabbage as you can.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
YUMMY
I haven't seen it at .99 but I think our sale prices are like $1.39 to $1.59 or something like that. Don't get it often but I do love it...some to think of it I should buy more when they are on sale lol

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just checked the flyers - 2.79 here. I'll pass on it.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
I love corned beef. Here it's called "Silverside", presumably because of the silverskin membrane on it. I believe it's a cut off the haunch or hind leg of the cow. I can't remember why it's called "corned", but it's basically a cured meat, done with spices and salt peter to give it it's red color. My FIL regularly has it, and it's usually in the stores here, whereas at home in the states, it never made it debue until St Patty's Day. I'm not one much for the whole, corned beef and cabbage combination though. Boiled dinner is too bland for me. I will cook the corned beef in water according to the directions, use the broth for something else, and roast red and fingerling potatoes with a little butter or olive oil, and serve with fresh, soft biscuits, mustard, and a tall foamy glass of Guinness. And some kind of veggie if I feel so desired. Or preceed it with a salad.
Corned beef is usually (or at least often) made from the brisket. *Corned*, in essence, means pickled - I have read that it comes from the *corns* of salt used, though my gut feeling says it must be the *corns* (pieces) of pepper/other spices. Whatever. I don't like commercial corned beef, as I have a sensitivity to salt (i.e. I don't much like salty things :D), and I object to the saltpeter, and possibly other things in the corning brine. For years/decades I wouldn't eat it. Then I bought some from Whole Foods, mostly to let my foreign husband know what people were talking about on St Patrick's Day, but we found that we both liked it - not enough for more than once a year, but still ... Last year I corned my own, and it was good, though not so pink as the salt petered stuff. This year I'm doing it again, with a different recipe (just because I like to experiment); grass fed beef brisket, in the 'freidge as I write, covered in a spiced brine. I cook it on it's own, with the veggies separate, to keep the flavors better, and to avoid oversalting the veggies with the salt from the beef. Leftovers will be chopped up for hash.